INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to track partially watched videos  (Read 3002 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
How to track partially watched videos
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:02:23 am »

I've got a ton of Mystery Science Theater episodes.

I don't always watch them to the end in one sitting and it might be a few days to weeks before I get back to them.

If I recall which episode I was watching, MC starts up where it left off.

But If I don't recall which episode I was watching, I don't see a field that would indicate to me that the episode was partially watched.

If there was I could create a smartlist for the series and list episodes that were only partially watched.

It seems that the "Last Played" field is only set when an episode completes.

Any ideas?

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How to track partially watched videos
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:43:46 am »

Quite a challenge. I tried to figure it out some time ago...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99343.0
...whereas my focus lay primarily on iso files and I ended up with the simplest of solutions: Adding an item named "Resume" with a display rule > [Last Played] is in the last 7 days.

I assume your episodes are stored in some none iso format, so if you use the fields [Last Skipped] and/or [Bookmark] for your filter, it might put you on the right path.
For background see also Wiki http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Bookmarking but I'm not sure if this article is still accurate.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 08:39:28 am »

[Bookmark] could definitely help.  It automatically gets set when you pause or stop a video, as long as you have watched up to a point that's (something like) more than 1 minute into the video.

I agree that it might be nice to have a new database field something like [Last Played (started)], which would represent the last time the video was played, no matter if it was played to the end or not.

Brian.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 11:49:18 am »

[Bookmark] could definitely help.  It automatically gets set when you pause or stop a video, as long as you have watched up to a point that's (something like) more than 1 minute into the video.

I agree that it might be nice to have a new database field something like [Last Played (started)], which would represent the last time the video was played, no matter if it was played to the end or not.

Brian.
Thanks! I think [Bookmark] will work! It appears that it is set set if a vid is partially watched but blank otherwise. I'm less concerned about the date last watched (although that is interesting). Also, that it is not set if you are in the first or last minute or two is totally fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:28:00 am »

Read:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85974.0
Thanks, Glynor! This solution seems perfect. I'll try it out tonight.

I also think it is worthy of inclusion in the wiki, but I realize that is more work...

Thanks for all your help on here.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:48:13 pm »

You should sell your idea to JRiver and then they could build this feature in.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:41:31 pm »

You should sell your idea to JRiver and then they could build this feature in.

They can use it for free.

I know that since I wrote that, they've actually improved the behavior of the built-in Watched() expression a bit, but I still like this solution better. It works perfectly with the Mark as Played/New functions they have built in now (I still want a way to toggle that from Theater View though). I do wish more of this kind of thing was "pre-done" in this regard on a fresh install, though.

If done though, I prefer that it is done "within" the system (as I did), as opposed to using "magic" expressions like Watched() and TVInfo(). That way users can go in and tweak the pre-done views and learn from them. The expression magic functions are just black magic.

But a default Library could use a lot more of the functionality right (fonts, useful calculated fields for display, and whatnot) right out of the box.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up