INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to get multiple albums from an artist in one group?  (Read 2632 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
how to get multiple albums from an artist in one group?
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:28:41 pm »

I have all 15 studio albums from Queen, each album has it own tag information filled out including year it was released, it's own album art etc.

How do I get all 15 albums to show up as one group (one thumbnail) yet each maintaining it's own tags and album art?

My view scheme is album thumbnails.

Terry  :)

blgentry

Re: how to get multiple albums from an artist in one group?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:52:31 pm »

I'm confused by what you're trying to do.  You have 15 albums, each with probably 8 to 12 tracks.  So 150 files plus or minus.  You want to show them as ONE album?  What are you trying to achieve?  Would looking by artist first and then by album be helpful?

Brian.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 05:17:31 pm »

I don't want to have to look at 15 different places for my 15 different Queen albums, I would like them to be in a thumbnail group if you will.

I can do what I did with my 15 Beatles albums, I gave every album the name of Beatles remasters and then added in individual comments for individual album names and such.

Terry

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:30:53 pm »

I think you'd enjoy a different type of view scheme.  Browsing by Artist would seem to make sense.  Look in the left hand navigation pane Audio > Artists .  This will show you Artists with thumbnails, then when you double click an Artist, it will show you all of their Albums.  Double click an album and you'll see all of the tracks.  It's a nice system.

You might also like Panes.  (left navigation > Audio > Panes).  This way you can easily scroll the lists at the top for artist, album, etc.  Down below you'll see (by default) Albums with a thumbnail and a list of all of their tracks.  Don't like that?  Switch the Panes view to an "album thumbnails style, and you'll see one thumbnail per album, and no album tracks.

There are other ways you could do this too.  It's all about how you think about your music collection.  How you want to browse, sort, and search.  The workarounds you've mentioned so far are sort of hacks.  They work, but they aren't all that elegant.  There are other ways to skin this cat.

If the options I've outlined aren't what you want, please describe the type of browsing (or searching or sorting) experience you are after, and maybe we can help you find a great solution.  :)

Brian.

DDD

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »

I'm not 100% sure I'm following you but I think I have mine set up like this. I have a custom view set up under audio that displays like that.

Left click on "artists" etc under audio and click "Add Library View...". using the albums template I created a new view which I then edited to display like this: Album Artist (auto) > Year - Album.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Or as the above poster says just using the artist view should be what you need.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 08:47:48 pm »

Thanks guys, I have many custom views and smart lists all ready set up to view my music in various ways, my main view is panes on top and album thumbnails below, my entire scheme is album based with many smartlists to help me find stuff.

DDD more or less hit the head on the nail on what I should be doing for my artists that have many albums, I will give it a try.

Thanks

Terry

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:33:08 pm »

Have you tried tabs to view your media?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 08:54:11 am »

What I really want to do is to get my Artists view to show up as a clickable feature over in the panes area, is this possible?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1eSBOGvyetfUHlDRzJhMHBlbEU/view?usp=sharing

Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up