INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving images from a remote server - Sync to local?  (Read 2444 times)

eezetee

• World Citizen
Saving images from a remote server - Sync to local?
« on: December 24, 2015, 12:06:08 am »

I've got a family member that would like to retrieve/download/copy image albums from my main server. 
Is there a way to download the original images or sync them to a local server?

I found this older article but i don't follow and it's for a dated version
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49664.0;wap2

eezetee

• World Citizen
Re: Saving images from a remote server - Sync to local?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:02:16 pm »

I'm still toying around with this but not quite sure what happens.

Can I use the Handheld sync to sync to a remote PC running JRiver? Ie not a handheld ?
Or is it meant from a handheld UP TO the server?
Will it copy the full size images over to the remote device or will it use the conversion settings (if any) on the device.
if I make a playlist with all Image albums in it, will it sync all of those?

Trying to figure out an easy way to get files over to a family member without using box/dropbox/email

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 01:08:01 am »

On the client MC, use handheld settings in options to set a local folder as a handheld device... "Options > Handheld > add device"

Set image conversion options to none for this new device.

Connect to MC server, in the action window, select Handheld, pick the one that is the local folder, drag image files to the now present sync list window in the action window, and when you hit "Sync" the images will be copied from the server MC to the local folder on the machine of the client MC.

The client has to pull them, the server cannot push them.

You could try using a smartlist to sync with on the client MC, then, all you would need to do at the server end is ensure that a tag, or tags, are set that you know will mean that that image will be included in the client sync list because it now satisfies the rules you set in the client sync rules smartlist (on the client).

I'm currently messing around with Google and iCloud photos.

By using their desktop apps, any photo taken on my phone is automatically imported into MC minutes later.
iCloud has a sharing folder. Any photo I add into a given 'shared' folder automatically appears on the device of the person or persons shared with, including, presumably, their desktops if they also have the iCloud app installed?

Dropbox also does shared folders and a desktop app. I know you said you wanted to avoid the cloud services, but really, this is what they were designed for, and you can easily incorporate the sharing workflow into MC at your end, making the 'shared with' end of the line much easier than this MC client/server/handheld cludge, which relies on the server MC always being available whenever those remote clients need it, while cloud services do not.

Happy Christmas,
-marko

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 02:42:18 am »

Hi Marko,

Great examples, thank you.  I do realize how beneficial cloud services are, I just don't always want my family photos stored anywhere but on my local server and it's backups.
The remote computer is a family member, who may use icloud too, but I can hope not :)

I was just hoping for a way to be able to share images in their full size without uploading huge zip files to some box/dropbox type service.

I was really hoping for a right-click on image and "save as" type of function so my family member can download an image that they want.

Will check out the Smart Playlist option. Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up