INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Idea: "Speaker Poke" (wake up spkr/sub before music starts)  (Read 2086 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!

Hi JRiver and friends,

I just had what I think is a unique idea for a new feature!

It would address the occasional issue of some modern/powered loudspeakers or subwoofers "going to sleep" after some long period, and consequently silencing e.g., the first approx. 1 second of any incoming sound program while "waking up".

For example, I have the AWESOME Golden Ear Triton 2 towers, and the built-in sub amp/DSP section "goes to sleep" after 1-2 hours (?), and then requires about 0.5s (?) to start up fully when music is fed in anew. Generally this is not an issue because most music tracks have at least a wee bit of noise or low freq. for at least 1 second at the head which takes care of the "wakeup", but occasionally not...

Proposed solution:

Add an optional module to the DSP Studio called something like "speaker poke" which sends, e.g., a 250ms low frequency (e.g., 20Hz), low level (configurable to, say, -40dB) "little pulse" just before playback begins, only after a (configurable) period of inactivity/stop/pause, etc.

The low level and low frequency nature of the "poke" would be virtually inaudible to listeners. Low freq. would be best to ensure that certain subs which are only activated by signal within their freq. range would always be captured.

My two cents. Anybody like this? ;)

Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Idea: "Speaker Poke" (wake up spkr/sub before music starts)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:20:37 pm »

So the option that's already there to 'Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization' won't work since the speaker detects an actual signal (and not just silence)?

I could imagine another option right next to that like "Play low level noise instead of silence at startup".
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 04:50:13 pm »

Exactly. I think this would apply to a substantial minority of middle-market speakers/subs out there. Certainly does re: Golden Ear, which is essentially Definitive redux.
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 06:15:01 am »

Perhaps "warble" would be a better term than "poke". Don't want to accidentally connote speaker damage by poking. ;)
Derek Pert
Pages: [1]   Go Up