INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metadata - how to completely remove from library even when files are removed  (Read 3348 times)

icstm

• World Citizen

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I want to load some consistent metadata (tags) for my movie files.
However I note the following behaviour:
  • Remove files from JRiver (but not delete), so use first option
  • Close and restart JRiver
  • Reimport folders, but uncheck downloading of Movie info and coverart

Movies that were previously in the library load with their previous data, even though they were removed from within JRiver.

Is the a way to fix this? It suggests that the db stores information on files no longer in the library.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

MC tries to store metadata in file tags by default.  So if you change the artist on an MP3, MC will try to write the Artist tag to the MP3's ID3 tag structure.

But almost no video formats support much, if any, metadata tags.  So MC compensates by writing XML files, one per video, that have the metadata stored inside them.  These XML files are called "side car files".  If you look in the directory with your videos you should see one XML sidecar per video.

Delete all of those side car files and I'd expect your next import to be "clean".

Brian.

icstm

• World Citizen

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your post.
Actually, I never used sidecar files before, I have had them off in options.
However to create consistent metadata across platforms I have just created those sidecar files in MCM as well as NFO files for other media players.

So my sidecar files are correct. However where they do not contain information on a particular field the field is populated with what was there prior to step 1 above.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Quickly, MC keeps a record of file tags in its database even after they are deleted, and will reuse that data if you reimport them.

Search the forum for information on the "Deleted files database". Glynor has written how to remove all details.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

icstm

• World Citizen

Thanks for the suggestion.
I could not find anything under that search. But understood that the main library would be storing something.
So I am now playing with this search:
Code: [Select]
~d=rwhich appears to show all files that were either removed from the dB or never added in the first place (eg file played in JR via explorer).
Will report back if it works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up