INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21, Roku, and Plex  (Read 6829 times)

Splungeworthy

• Recent member
MC21, Roku, and Plex
« on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:22 am »

Sounds like an EDM group.
I use the Roku stick and Plex server to stream video to my "dumb" Samsung TV.  I am having a lot of problems with Plex's naming conventions where many TV series do not show up, or show up with incorrect metadata.  However, all of the metadata for these same series in MC21 is exactly correct. Also I have many playlists in MC to show whole seasons Netflix-style; no such luck in Plex. So my question is, can I use MC to stream to my Plex app on the Roku stick, where all of my series show up correctly named?  I really hate dragging my laptop to my TV when I want to watch one of my MC playlists. And add me to whatever list is being kept for an MC channel on Roku.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC21, Roku, and Plex
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:03:46 am »

I'm not too sure about streaming to a Plex app, but you'd want to look up Plex as a DLNA client to see if it's possible. If it is, then you'd need to enable the DLNA server features in MC.

Seconded on a Roku channel/app. I'm also using a different media server these days, purely so I can stream around the house without needing anymore computers. The upkeep effort on a Roku is negligible, while I found using PC's as TV front end clients not worth the extra effort.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »

so can one push movies via DLNA to a dumb tv using the Roku stick and JR MC? or does one need the 1,2 or 3 Roku box?

thanks
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 12:59:11 pm »

so can one push movies via DLNA to a dumb tv using the Roku stick and JR MC? or does one need the 1,2 or 3 Roku box?

thanks

can't answer specifically but a super cheap box like WDTV works awesome

the reason i never tried Roku is they didn't have DLNA support, that was back in the Roku 3 so i don't know if anything has changed there and i never tried a stick because the WDTV has worked so well and cheaply

~OHM~

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 04:05:16 pm »

can't answer specifically but a super cheap box like WDTV works awesome

the reason i never tried Roku is they didn't have DLNA support, that was back in the Roku 3 so i don't know if anything has changed there and i never tried a stick because the WDTV has worked so well and cheaply

thanks will check out the WDTV
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

connersw

Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:57:41 pm »

Kodi on the FireTV stick.  You don't have to worry about the conversion issues you randomly get with WDTV, and it's cheaper too.  It can't play H.265, but neither can the WDTV. 

~OHM~

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:48:10 pm »

I left out a important part of the question, I'm looking for something that will turn the dumb tv into a smart tv so i can use MC media server and send the movie over dlna from the pc's internal hd.

connersw

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »

Yeah, I get that.  That's what Kodi on a FireTV Stick does.  Turn on UPnP in Kodi, then you can add your MC Library as a source inside your Kodi Library. 

~OHM~

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 02:31:41 am »

Hey connersw thanks!

kkapp

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 01:38:19 pm »

connersw, how do you add it within kodi?

~OHM~

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 05:34:21 pm »

Ok I choose the 2015 Roku 2 for my dumb tv...omg it is amazing. It found MC without any issues and even can play the dvr box from Direct TV....Why did i wait so long....off to get another 1 for the last dumb tv in the guest room....

thanks again connersw for the tip .....I didn't need the kodi at all

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 01:36:03 pm »

hey guys. Must be missing something ... why use plex at all? why not just use the TV, dumb or smart, as a monitor and JRiver as renderer/controller/server? All you need is an HDMI cable. The Roku box is another matter I suppose depending on content you are paying for.

And why use a library from JRiver into another media server/player like Kodi?? for the interface? Seems pretty complicated compared to one JRiver media server

thanks I'm a bit confused maybe

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 10:55:13 pm »

hey guys. Must be missing something ... why use plex at all? why not just use the TV, dumb or smart, as a monitor and JRiver as renderer/controller/server? All you need is an HDMI cable. The Roku box is another matter I suppose depending on content you are paying for.

And why use a library from JRiver into another media server/player like Kodi?? for the interface? Seems pretty complicated compared to one JRiver media server

thanks I'm a bit confused maybe

DLNA renderers like the ones mentioned in the thread are a lot cheaper than PCs running MC in every room.

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 03:34:01 am »

DLNA renderers like the ones mentioned in the thread are a lot cheaper than PCs running MC in every room.
ah of course! makes sense. Thanks.  I have only one TV (and lots of PCs albeit some are aging fast :) )
Pages: [1]   Go Up