INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we have the option "allow multiple instances to run at once" save on close?  (Read 4480 times)

icanrule

• World Citizen

Every time I close jriver and reopen it I have to recheck "Allow multiple instances to run at once".  Can we have it save that option so I don't have to keep checking it.  It is located under option -> general -> advanced -> allow multiple instances to run at once.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Can you explain why you need multiple instances? Most things can be accomplished using Zones and is much more stable.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

The value is saved properly between runs for me.  I have no idea why it wouldn't be for you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

The value is here in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\J. River\Media Center 21\Properties\General - Allow Multiple Instances

icanrule

• World Citizen

I checked the registry and it is set to 1.  Yet when I open it there is no check.  I just tried to uninstall/reinstall it with no luck.  It still won't remain checked after I shut it down and reopen it. 

I love the server part of Jrivers.  It allows me to connect from multiple devices.  So that is always running under my profile on Windows.  The problem occurs when another profile in windows is used.  I want it to see the same music.  But all it does is tell me there is already an instance of Jrivers running on the computer.  But when I check that item it allows another instance to open in read only mode or as a connection to the main one. 

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

I checked the registry and it is set to 1.  Yet when I open it there is no check.  I just tried to uninstall/reinstall it with no luck.  It still won't remain checked after I shut it down and reopen it.
I tested and have the same results as you. I've also never had the check mark persist on any computer when set in Options > General.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Well at home it clears the checkbox between runs.  I close, the value of "1" is saved in the registry, and then when I run again it flushes it back to zero.

Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out when I'm back in front of the code tomorrow.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

It turns out we intentionally clear that value if we are started in Library Server mode.

I sent the team an email to ask about the merits of doing that.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

It is good that we clear that value when run in server mode.  Because otherwise running the app again when it was minimized to server mode would start a new instance.

So I think we'll chalk this up as a little side issue and make no changes.

If you want to run multiple instances, don't run MC in server mode.

icanrule

• World Citizen

That makes perfect sense.  I wish there was another way I can do what I am trying to do then.  I have to have the server running all the time so I have my profile log into the computer after every boot and I leave myself logged in.  But if anyone else in my household wants to use it on the same computer (from a different profile) that option needs to be selected. 

If anyone has any advise to get around my problem please let me know.  I would love for this program to run as a server built as a built in process so it doesn't require my master profile to be logged in. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

That is why a HTPC should really be a dedicated PC. Or at least the Server component should be. If it is a shared PC that needs to use different Windows Accounts, you are going to get into this sort of trouble.

I run my standard alone HTPC with a limited Windows account that always automatically logs on at boot time. No one ever uses that PC with any other account, except for me when doing maintenance using an Administrator account.

If the other people who use your PC are just using it for MC, then you should probably investigate Users in MC, if you wish to control who sees what in the library. I don't need to use it myself, so haven't played with it. But lots of people seem to be using it.

If people use that PC for other Windows activities, then I suspect that you are stuck with the problems you currently have.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team

Use VirtualBox to create a virtual machine under your profile and have it run the server.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Use VirtualBox to create a virtual machine under your profile and have it run the server.

Yup. I prefer vmware, but VirtualBox is free and would probably do what you need.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

+1 for Virtualbox.  My MC server has been running in a virtualbox VM for about a year and it works great.  You take a penalty on transcoding performance and technically you'll probably need a second windows license to do it consistent with Microsoft's EULA, but otherwise it's a good solution and has been pretty friction free for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up