INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24p judder free playback from HTPC  (Read 6333 times)

Arlett123

• Recent member
24p judder free playback from HTPC
« on: January 06, 2016, 05:08:32 pm »

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my TV so have been reading up on the latest TV tech and models available. It seems many LED TVs (certain brands in particular) have issues achieving 24p judder free movie playback (from HTPCs) and unfortunately this particular area is rarely tested on TV review sites.

It seems (after reading reviews from rtings.com) that Sony is the only brand that caters for 24p judder free movie playback but the latest Sony TV ranges are generally not recommended as highly as the latest Panasonic and Samsung TVs. Unfortunately neither Panasonic or Samsung can cater for 24p judder free playback (from HTPCs) so I am unsure what to buy!

Can anyone offer some advice in this area or make any recommendations? Playback will be from an NUC5i3RYH running MC. I am based in the UK.

I am also wondering whether MC might be the solution since I have read that some dedicated players change the frame rate of the video card to match the media, thus removing judder. I am wondering if MC corrects this issue automatically?

Again, can someone please offer some advice?

Thank you
Richard

eam81969

• Recent member
Re: 24p judder free playback from HTPC
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:51:01 am »

My opinion is to "go Sony".  Sony had a big hand in the creation of Blu-Ray.  Hence, it likely has the most compatible solution with a HTPC running 24p content.  I own a very nice Panasonic (cant remember the model) and it's very finicky about refresh rates.  I've had to spend a lot of time tweaking my HTPC when I'd rather be using it.  Don't pay so much attention to the reviews.  Go check them out for yourself.  Your opinion may not match those of the "majority" or the reviewers.  Good luck.
i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 w/Intel HD Graphics 530
ASRock H170M Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Mobo
8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HD
DVDFab
Windows 10
JRMark: 4405

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:22:55 am »

The term judder, when applied to 24 fps content normally refers to motion problems.  These motion problems are normally associated with converting 24 fps content to 30 fps so it can be displayed on an NTSC display.  But with today's digital displays, the display itself should be able to match the exact frame rate of the source material.  24 fps content should be natively displayed at 24 fps on a digital display.

Now, I've noticed motion issues at movie theaters with VERY large screens because 24 fps is just kind of slow.

What kind of judder is the OP referring to here?

Brian.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:22:31 pm »

LED TVs all run at 60 Hz or 120 Hz. Blu-ray content is at 23.97 Hz. In order to playback at 60 Hz there is what is called 2/3 pulldown that is done either by the playback device or the TV. This is also called inverse telecine, film, or movie mode. This mode is usually set to off on the display and must be turned on.

There are two issues:
1.  The correct mode on the display isn't turned on for 23.97 Blu-ray content
2.  There can still be motion judder

Contrary to what was mentioned about it being a problem with HTPCs, an HTPC is the only device that can provide complete judder free playback at 60 Hz from 23.97 content. If you use Red October HQ in JRiver and turn on Smooth Motion in madVR there will be no issues with any TV of any brand.

Here is a listing of 2015 TV's that are judder free with 24p content. Just look at the first column "Judder-free 24p." Again this doesn't really matter if using Red October HQ in JRiver.

Judder on 24p movies on 2015 TVs

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:59:38 pm »

Well that's really interesting.  I wrongly assumed that fixed pixel displays must be multi-sync and were able to show native 24fps content.  In reading the link and some more stuff, it looks like 120Hz displays make this a non-issue, since 24 x 5 = 120.  So no 3:2 pulldown necessary.  Every time I think the world has changed in terms of technology, it hasn't!  Just another good example of why video is NEVER simple.  :)

Brian.

Arlett123

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 12:33:05 pm »

Thank you for the responses. That is very helpful and may sway me back to Samsung.

Mojave, I was hoping you could provide some further clarification - if judder free movie playback can be achieved on an HTPC by a dedicated media player and certain settings on the renderer, then what is the big issue around 24p, 24p via 60i and/or 24p via 60p judder at all?

What specific set up/scenario are rtings.com referencing when they say that there will be judder present for 24p via 60i or 24p via 60p? (I know for 24p they are referencing blu-ray playback). Do they mean judder will be present when moving windows on the windows desktop, or something else?!

Pages: [1]   Go Up