INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schiit Headphone Amps  (Read 5769 times)

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
Schiit Headphone Amps
« on: January 10, 2016, 03:49:15 am »

Asgard 2
Valhalla 2
Lyr 2

$250, $350, $450, respectively. I would be using one of these amps with a pair of Grado 325e's. I also have one active pair of Yamaha HS7 studio monitors that I use for DAW's so I am not sure if there is any benefit in using a preamp in this scenario.

The only other headphone amp I have listened to around this price range was the MusicHall ph 25.2 ($399). The Grado 325e's had a slight improvement in sound and overall output. Using a closed-back pair of Audeze the improvement in sound, clarity, and overall output was much more noticeable.

Given the gear I have listed hear, and my very limited knowledge of Schiit products, arguments and/or comparisons of any of these 4 amps would help me out a lot! At this point, I have narrowed my options to one of these 4 amps. I live in the Seattle area but the local hi-fi shop I visit won't carry Schiit products because the profit margins are too low. Therefore, I don't know how or where I could actually listen to Schiit products and need your help!

Thanks in advance to everyone on this forum! Your help is what keeps me coming back!

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Schiit Headphone Amps
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »

if the end-use is primarily for mixing/DAWS ... I guessing that this is for studio monitoring right? If so, I'd avoid tubes in the signal chain if monitoring is the goal via a DAW.  Tubes are going to "color" the sound. If its just for audio enjoyment though thats something else again entirely.

That leaves the Asgard and the Lyr2 in the LISST config if you agree?  I've only tried the Asgard, and for the price it is nice and can control your monitors too if needed.  I'm sure the Lyr would be better but its twice the price too. I have never tried it so .... my comments are USELESS  ;D

I know you can try Schitt products and return them within 15 days minus a fee.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:54:56 pm »

That's correct. I won't be using the preamps on my studio monitors. I would like to get some monitors from AudioEngine at some point. Maybe the A5+ with sub add-on, or the new HD6 line. The 3 Schiit amps I mentioned all have preamps, don't they? Just trying to understand why you took Valhalla off the list. Also, do you have an opinion on Grado's 325e headphone in terms of the benefit of a headphone amp? I just don't feel like there is much benefit of a $400+ amp for these low-impedance cans. I felt like the benefit of a powerful amp was much better realized with a pair of Audeze, for example.

Thanks for your comments!  :)

if the end-use is primarily for mixing/DAWS ... I guessing that this is for studio monitoring right? If so, I'd avoid tubes in the signal chain if monitoring is the goal via a DAW.  Tubes are going to "color" the sound. If its just for audio enjoyment though thats something else again entirely.

That leaves the Asgard and the Lyr2 in the LISST config if you agree?  I've only tried the Asgard, and for the price it is nice and can control your monitors too if needed.  I'm sure the Lyr would be better but its twice the price too. I have never tried it so .... my comments are USELESS  ;D

I know you can try Schitt products and return them within 15 days minus a fee.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 01:44:02 pm »

well the reason is that the Valhalla is tubes only; no solid state option ... as I said I personally would never use tubes in the signal chain for monitoring...

my question wasn't whether you were using preamps on your monitors, but whether you want a headphone amp for Audiophile listening or monitoring ... I assumed the later so No tubes.

sorry don't have an opinion on your Grado's I only use closed cans for recording and speakers for monitoring/mixing.

But those are low impedance, so for monitoring you could just plug directly into your interface? If its for listening pleasure then the Schitt kit would be nice to have though I bet.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 02:41:30 pm »

Ahh, thank you for the clarification on the Valhalla! I use my Grado's for audiophile listening and Sennheiser HD280's for recording. Have you tried Audio Technica? The ATH-M50x possibly? I think the Sennheiser HD280's are just fine, but I would like to have a better pair of closed-back cans. I love my Grado's, but I also enjoy the bass response that closed-back offers, especially when listening to electronic and dance music which is becoming prevalent across all pop genres.

My monitors are chained to a Cambridge DacMagic 100 for 24/192. I also have a Fiio E17K Alpen 2 (dac +amp combo) that I can use with the Senny's. So after all things considered, it actually seems like the Valhalla would be an excellent choice. Do you concur?

well the reason is that the Valhalla is tubes only; no solid state option ... as I said I personally would never use tubes in the signal chain for monitoring...

my question wasn't whether you were using preamps on your monitors, but whether you want a headphone amp for Audiophile listening or monitoring ... I assumed the later so No tubes.

sorry don't have an opinion on your Grado's I only use closed cans for recording and speakers for monitoring/mixing.

But those are low impedance, so for monitoring you could just plug directly into your interface? If its for listening pleasure then the Schitt kit would be nice to have though I bet.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:55:51 pm »

...and Sennheiser HD280's for recording.

I've had a pair of HD280pros for something like 8 or 9 years now.  I bought them to monitor recordings with.  In my back to back testing, I liked them better than the comparably priced (at the time) Sony and AKG offerings.

That being said, the HD280pros are rather midrange focused.  They're great for listening to vocals and things like that.  As long as you aren't using them to mix, you should be fine.  IMHO they aren't good for mixing, as they lack bass and highs.  This is coming from a guy that isn't into headphones with lots of bass or highs.  I can just hear that the HD280s are missing them.

On topic:  I've only heard Schiit's entry level Magni 2 amp, so I can't comment on your choices.  The Asgard 2 seems hard to beat at the price.

Brian.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »

"IMHO they aren't good for mixing, as they lack bass and highs. "

Sorry if my post was unclear. What I meant to say was no headphone can be used to mix properly. Headphone monitoring means using your headphones to "monitor" what you are singing or playing while recording. I am also partial to Sennheiser over Sony and AKG, but was hoping to get some feedback on Audio Technica's closed back ATH-M50x. They price a little above $250, but for certain genres I prefer closed back cans. The HD280's can produce a lot of bass if they are properly amplified (and using equalization - even though using equalization immediately clips the source material and IMHO is a reflection of an improperly balanced sound system). Since I would be using the Schiit amp for audiophile listening then the Valhalla would be the best choice since it is tube, correct?

I've had a pair of HD280pros for something like 8 or 9 years now.  I bought them to monitor recordings with.  In my back to back testing, I liked them better than the comparably priced (at the time) Sony and AKG offerings.

That being said, the HD280pros are rather midrange focused.  They're great for listening to vocals and things like that.  As long as you aren't using them to mix, you should be fine.  IMHO they aren't good for mixing, as they lack bass and highs.  This is coming from a guy that isn't into headphones with lots of bass or highs.  I can just hear that the HD280s are missing them.

On topic:  I've only heard Schiit's entry level Magni 2 amp, so I can't comment on your choices.  The Asgard 2 seems hard to beat at the price.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 04:57:27 pm »

Since I would be using the Schiit amp for audiophile listening then the Valhalla would be the best choice since it is tube, correct?

Maybe.  I haven't heard one.  It's not supposed to have the normal "tube sound" though.  No rolled off highs and harmonics.  Just a really pure sound.  It's not super duper powerful into low impedance headphones at 180 mW @ 50 Ohms.  It will drive them for sure; just not like an amplifier that's really designed for low impedance.

The Vali 2 is interesting as a tube hybrid.  Again, I haven't heard one.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up