INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Always displaying and playing two identical files - help!  (Read 2802 times)

MikeLoess

Always displaying and playing two identical files - help!
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:15:17 pm »

I have similar directories on two different drives, one is a backup, but they contain some different songs/albums. I included both drives in the library. Now if I pick an album or artist, the files from both drives show up and play, i.e. every song plays twice. How can I limit playback to one drive or the other? This is driving me crazy...can anyone help? Thanks much.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Always displaying and playing two identical files - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:56:38 pm »

MC is working the way it is supposed to then. If both drives are attached and imported into the library, and watched by MC, and contain many of the same files, then you will, naturally, get two copies of the duplicated files in the library, and each will play if included in playlists, views, and so on.

You could modify views and playlists to exclude the backup drive, but if there are some unique files on the backup drive, how do you determine which ones to include? Possible, but lots of work. No, use the backup drive as a proper backup, and the main drive as your library source. I suggest that you synchronise your main and backup drives so that they both have all the same files on them, and then exclude the backup drive from the library.  You may need to do some clean-up of the duplicates, or let MC do it with the correct settings, or start your library from scratch. Depends on how much work is involved.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MikeLoess

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:20:12 pm »

Thanks, RoderickGI. I was afraid something like that might be the answer. Unfortunately, I'm out of space on both drives. Guess its time to add a new drive. Cheers.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 10:44:54 pm »

Storage is a lot cheaper than it used to be. Drives come in sizes up to 8TB in a single drive now. Such a drive would make a great backup drive, while your smaller drives could be used for OS backups, put away safely somewhere.

Better yet, an external enclosure with two 8TB drive mirrored for redundancy, to better protect your backups. i.e. Western Digital's version.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up