INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray and MKV 3D support [Under Development]  (Read 241672 times)

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MKV 3D support [Under Development]
« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2016, 03:30:06 pm »

Well, there's one idea that I have as a work around but it's incredibly nasty and I'm not sure you're going to like it, even as an "optional fix for those having problems".  When playback first starts, can we get a build that temporarily switches to FSE (even if it's disabled) and then goes back to whatever window mode they have set?  Forcing FSE when initializing the display may allow it to continue working once you take it out.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2016, 03:41:03 pm »

Well, there's one idea that I have as a work around but it's incredibly nasty and I'm not sure you're going to like it, even as an "optional fix for those having problems".  When playback first starts, can we get a build that temporarily switches to FSE (even if it's disabled) and then goes back to whatever window mode they have set?  Forcing FSE when initializing the display may allow it to continue working once you take it out.

Why don't you just play 3D movies in FSE if that fixes it?
Could setup a madVR profile to switch only 3D into FSE.

I build a new HTPC last week, I didn't try yet if 3D still works properly on that one. I don't run Win10 on it though, too many weird issues still with media playback and it wouldn't benefit from any of the improvements.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2016, 04:40:31 pm »

Just retest with the latest LAV Nightly, madVR, Hotfix nvidia driver, windows updates etc.  Same as before:
- Exclusive Mode works
- Windowed mode is fine if you are already in 3D but not if switching from 2D (unless you bring up the MC Menu then it is fine)

Couple of new observations.
1) when I start 3d Playback it is "stalled".  I have to do a Pause/Play to get it going
2) when I bring use the MC TheaterView OSD, the present queue drops to 1 of 2 and playback is jerky (but no reported dropped frames or presentation glitches).  When the OSD disapears the present queue goes back to normal (tried both the std 8 and also 4) and playback is fine

Do you want any logs?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2016, 05:16:05 pm »

...also happy to use Profiles for now.  What is the Logic for 3D, eg I have setup two profiles called "3D" and "2D":

If 3D??? "3D"
Else "2D"

Edit:  I was just missing the brackets, the syntax is:
if (3D) "3D" else "2D"
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2016, 05:45:15 pm »

Here is the log showing the stall when playing 3D - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59011278/madVR%20-%20log%20-3D%20Stall.zip

You should see:
- Playback starts and screen changing (you can hear the video is running)
- when 3D has been activated the playback is stalled
- left for 10 sec then did a pause/play and playback started

I also waited another 10sec and did some OSD to show the present queue change to 2 but this time I did not notice any jerkiness, so.....? on this one.
JRiver CEO Elect

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2016, 05:46:52 am »

I don't have the playback stall.

I also still haven't investigated what the "hotfix" is.

I think I must have a magical video card because it always works so well.

For my own use I've been staying in FSE mode all the time and watching a lot of my 3D. It's been perfect.

I did take the GPU out to investigate the intel 4600 HD and it couldn't do much with 3D. It was choppy. Maybe I don't have enough CPU to go without the GPU.

Anyways, Nvidia user here that's just loving it.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2016, 10:55:29 am »

Why don't you just play 3D movies in FSE if that fixes it?
Could setup a madVR profile to switch only 3D into FSE.

I build a new HTPC last week, I didn't try yet if 3D still works properly on that one. I don't run Win10 on it though, too many weird issues still with media playback and it wouldn't benefit from any of the improvements.

I don't love FSE mode though.  My work around right now is to take it out of full screen and put it back.  Then it all works fine.  I was just thinking that when initializing a 3d playback that if you could do it in FSE and then like, say, 3 seconds later switch it off....that would be sweet if it worked.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2016, 06:03:18 pm »

FYI - madVR v0.90.9 is out and it fixed my stalled playback in 3D mode (still get the stutter when bringing up the Theaterview OSD in 3D but it is not a biggie).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #258 on: February 15, 2016, 04:56:59 am »

Just watched Martian in 3D ... looked pretty good!
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2016, 07:46:35 am »

So latest lav filters nightly adds SSIF support which is a step closer to being able to open up a blu-ray and going to town.  However, I can't get the SSIF to play in MC21 at all.  If I open it using file, open media file it doesn't do anything.  Can we get SSIF support added?

Also, my experience so far is that I'm not able to play the SSIF file in 3D.  LAV video is showing me the active decoder is avcodec.  Not sure what's going on with that yet.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2016, 08:20:16 am »

The next version will recognize SSIF files.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2016, 08:20:57 am »

Thanks, Hendrik!  Much appreciated.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2016, 01:24:47 am »

The latest LAV Filters nightly also supports reading straight from a Blu-ray disc or mounted ISO now, no need to rip or find the appropriate SSIF file.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2016, 02:00:54 am »

This is great for those that just want to put in a BD-3D disk and "play" it.  Well done.  Unfortunately I'm away with work so can not play yet :(
JRiver CEO Elect

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2016, 03:00:35 am »

This is awesome! Now if only I didn't need to wait 3 months for my projector and othe HT stuff to be shipped to me to play with this stuff. 😰

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2016, 07:35:21 am »

Only missing piece now would be to figure out if there is something we can do about the weird 3D behavior on some systems.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2016, 07:42:49 am »

That's awesome. I'll check that out soon. Thanks!

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2016, 11:54:20 am »

Tested.  Working perfectly.  This is spectacular.  Thanks for this!

If we can ever figure out the 3D issue with my setup that'd be great.  If not, I can live with it going back to 2D while the MC UI is displayed or take it out of full screen and bring it back to make it work fully. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2016, 03:34:17 pm »

The latest LAV Filters nightly also supports reading straight from a Blu-ray disc or mounted ISO now, no need to rip or find the appropriate SSIF file.

This is truly excellent. I have so much trouble with some 3D Blu-rays, even using an old version of PowerDVD. If the movie will just play in MC, I can get rid of PowerDVD.

I assume that, as above, this is still just the main video that gets played, and no menu will be provided in the foreseeable future.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2016, 03:36:30 pm »

I assume that, as above, this is still just the main video that gets played, and no menu will be provided in the foreseeable future.

Of course.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

stewart_pk

Re: Blu-ray and MKV 3D support [Under Development]
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2016, 10:22:18 pm »

I would suggest we may want another A/V Sync Correction setting for 3D because some displays might create more lag in 3D mode.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: February 18, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »

Finally had time this evening to watch an entire movie in 3D, and it worked beautifully for me on Windows 8.1 with a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960. Using D3D11 FSE in madVR, but also briefly tried to exit FSE and 3D remained active, so at least that.
madVR turned 3D on when needed and back off when the movie ended (with the appropriate settings to have it do that), so no manual intervention required whatsoever.

Now to check if there are "better" 3D glasses for my TV, the ones that came with it are a bit tight around the ears.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #272 on: February 18, 2016, 02:39:48 pm »

Sounds good! FWIW, I've imported a couple of Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU from the USA (via Ebay). Pretty cheap, and the lightest (27g only) rechargable glasses I've found. Work fine with my JVC X35 projector.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #273 on: February 18, 2016, 02:56:12 pm »

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and turn FSE back on and forget about the stupid bug.  lol.  I just don't like the FSE transition on my system...it's almost a second or more delay in switching between modes.  But yea, other than that, this rocks completely.  VERY pleased with this functionality.  I have a very good library of 3D movies and being able to use MC21 with madvr processing is incredible.  Will likely check out Avatar over the weekend.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2016, 03:01:24 pm »

My system is a fully dedicated HTPC, so I only use the remote control interface, ie. never the display view GUI at the top of the screen, so FSE works perfectly fine.
That definitely helps. ;)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2016, 03:02:36 pm »

Mine's dedicated, too, and I tend to do the same...theater view with an MCE remote.  So I guess it's not all bad if I go that route.

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2016, 03:04:42 pm »

Yeah, I've never seen Avatar yet, because I wanted to watch it in 3D and couldn't until now. Now's finally the time...  :)

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2016, 03:10:46 pm »

Oh hell yea.  In 3D it's good.....in madvr 3D it'll be spectacular.  I can't wait.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2016, 03:38:02 pm »

Glasses seem to make a difference, not only in the degree of ugly and form, but also in "quality".  I've both a Epson PJ (IR) and a Samsung TV (RF) so got some glasses of EBay that will do both IR and RF.  They work OK but are harder to get the initial pairing going plus I sometimes see 3D artefacts that I have not noticed on the genuine OEM pair.

That said, the Martian looked stunning.  Infact I'd say that FramePacked 3D looks way better than what we get at the theatres.   The other thing I've noticed is that 3D makes my TV (65")  look "smaller".  Up till recently I've not purchased BD-3D deliberately but sometimes got the the 3D version in the "pack".  I've gone back through some of my disks and found I have 8 so far, so probably have another few.

I'm about to test the BD-3D support but the results looks great.  Nice work gents!
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2016, 03:40:05 pm »

Oh on my Panny plasma the 3D frame packed absolutely looks better than the theater.  At 65" I find it's a tad small but not horrible.  Depends on where you sit in my living room.  But the 3D quality is phenominal and with madvr...yeaaaaaaa :)

Hilton

« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2016, 03:43:12 pm »

I got mine working well enough in FSE mode.  Nathan your welcome to come over and watch a movie on a bigger screen if you like.  I finished putting new blackout curtains and blinds in last night! :)

Hilton

« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2016, 03:45:49 pm »

PS. Avatar looks stunning! 3D is definitely better in MC21 than TMT, Xbone and PS3. It's no competition!

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2016, 03:49:43 pm »

The fact that it beats the PS3 is the nice part.  That to me is really a blu-ray "gold standard" in terms of consumer electronics.  Are there better?  Sure.  Oppo comes to mind.  But the PS3 is a reference platform.  Madvr has consistently beat it in 2D all along.  Now we have a gold standard for 3D with madvr, as well.  VERY pleased.  All enabled by Hendrik's amazing work on LAV filters.  Stick the disc in, and have at it.

Although, Hendrik's going to kill me now.  LMAO.  Any way to have an option to force 2D when playing back a 3D disc?  Just a little option that might set MC above and beyond for players.  I'm saying when you're prompted to play the disc back, have a "play in 2D" or something as a selection.

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2016, 03:56:01 pm »

You can simply disable 3D support in madVR, then the movie will be played in 2D.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2016, 03:57:08 pm »

No I know you can do that but that's not quite as simple as a "play this in 2D" when you stick the disc in.  There are a myriad of ways I can work around it.  I was just thinking as a nice option to have.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2016, 04:09:36 pm »

I'll have to think about that. It would require knowing if something is 3D before, otherwise showing the option would feel rather silly. While this is relatively easy for actual Blu-ray discs, people might also want to be able to do that with MKVs, where this isn't so easy.
And it would only ever work when the built-in LAV is used, no custom source filter (even if its also LAV), since then our runtime config wouldn't catch...mmm
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2016, 04:39:40 pm »

Sounds good!  I've also got a 100" screen for the PJ but I have to set it up all the time so it is a PITA.  Where is the 100" OLED Flat Screens??

Tested BD-3D both as a Stucture Rip and from ODD.  Works perfectly!

On another note, I've set up madVR Profiles to use FSE only for 3D.  It takes about 10sec for all the display rate / 3d mode switching to happen.  My impression is that there are some unnecessary switching modes/refresh going on as I'd expect just a couple (one for refresh rate, one for 3D) but I see "more" when having MC/madVR do it stuff VS switching it manually.  It works perfectly once it is playing but boy is it ugly in the initial setup.  I'll make a little video showing what it does on my system.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2016, 04:43:22 pm »

FYI here is the video from my phone (a bit shaky) showing the 3D Startup.  You can hear the audio drops several times as modes are changed.  Is this what you get?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »

I'll have to think about that. It would require knowing if something is 3D before, otherwise showing the option would feel rather silly. While this is relatively easy for actual Blu-ray discs, people might also want to be able to do that with MKVs, where this isn't so easy.
And it would only ever work when the built-in LAV is used, no custom source filter (even if its also LAV), since then our runtime config wouldn't catch...mmm

As you say, it is easy for BD (an MC does the recognition already and sets the filetype to bdmv3d).  On MKV could it be detected on import to the library (as most MKV will be imported prior to playback)?
JRiver CEO Elect

stewart_pk

« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2016, 07:28:13 pm »

So how can I get this wonderful edition to MC working? I have DVDFab Passkey to decrypt Blu-ray discs

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2016, 09:55:14 pm »

Have a read of the OP as it also has a link the the post if you don't mind and feel comfortable in testing.  Otherwise, I would imagine that Hendrik will push it out as part of a MC release at the appropriate time.
JRiver CEO Elect

stewart_pk

« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2016, 10:09:26 pm »

Have a read of the OP as it also has a link the the post if you don't mind and feel comfortable in testing.  Otherwise, I would imagine that Hendrik will push it out as part of a MC release at the appropriate time.

Thanks, happy to beta test on my AMD ATI 6450 based video card that works in Cyberlink PowerDVD.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2016, 05:52:11 am »

As you say, it is easy for BD (an MC does the recognition already and sets the filetype to bdmv3d).  On MKV could it be detected on import to the library (as most MKV will be imported prior to playback)?

Will probably just make it available for bdmv3d and mk3d. Not sure yet if it will auto-detect 3d mkvs and switch the type to mk3d on its own, but you can always rename if such a feature is important to you.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2016, 02:02:26 pm »

I agree, though isn't the use of the "mkv3d" file type "old" and that MKV stores the 3D info in it's header these days?
https://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html#StereoMode

JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2016, 02:25:22 pm »

I agree, though isn't the use of the "mkv3d" file type "old" and that MKV stores the 3D info in it's header these days?
https://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html#StereoMode

It has always stored such info, because you don't know what 3D format it is, but that doesn't mean you can't name the files that way or change the file type in the library.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2016, 03:38:40 pm »

Congratulations all for the very nice progress achieved.

I have not yet had time to test this new functionality but at spare time followed with great interest this thread.

On my collection, I noticed that on all of my ripped videos (all are MKV), [Playback Info] was always empty.    Regarding the last few posts:

I have used the [Playback Info] and the .mk3d file extensions in the following way:

- framed packed MKV: changed file extension to .mk3d (to auto launch Stereoscopic player from MC) and [Playback Info]="3D MVC"
- SBS MKV: standard .mkv extension and [Playback Info]="3D SBS"
- OU MKV: standard .mkv extension and [Playback Info]="3D OU"

I have a view for everything that has [Playback Info] start with "3D" and another for [Playback Info] starting with "3D MVC" (my best quality rips).  And the 2D videos are the ones where [Playback Info] does not start with "3D"...  I tagged SBS and OU for sake of completeness, at the moment I still need to set up the projector manually for the latter two.

Again, thank you !

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2016, 03:50:58 pm »

PS. Avatar looks stunning! 3D is definitely better in MC21 than TMT, Xbone and PS3. It's no competition!

I thought so too... I was thinking ... golly, it's never looked this good.

I guess I saw it in IMAX a loooooong time ago and the memory of how that was is gone by now for the most part.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2016, 04:00:49 pm »

I have used the [Playback Info] and the .mk3d file extensions in the following way:

- framed packed MKV: changed file extension to .mk3d (to auto launch Stereoscopic player from MC) and [Playback Info]="3D MVC"
- SBS MKV: standard .mkv extension and [Playback Info]="3D SBS"
- OU MKV: standard .mkv extension and [Playback Info]="3D OU"

MC will overwrite Playback Info when it actually has some information to store there (ie. you make changes to audio streams or subtitles, or some other playback related things), its not a good place to store your own info I'm afraid.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2016, 04:06:39 pm »

Thank you Hendrik, good to know.  Easily corrected. 

Do you have any suggestion for a suitable tag ?  I have found this system very convenient.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2016, 04:07:24 pm »

You could just create your own.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up