INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] Recording Log  (Read 1867 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
[REQ] Recording Log
« on: May 30, 2015, 03:17:18 pm »

It would be really helpful to have an optional Recording Log (text file) with stuff like:

8:30 am - Starting recording for program Blah Blah on channel 123 with Tuner ATSC Hauppauge 456.

8:31 am - No signal on channel 123, file is not being written.

8:52 am - Signal detected on channel 123, starting recording for program Blah Blah on channel 123 with Tuner ATSC Hauppauge 456.

---

This morning, I had setup to record the same program on the same channel on two different setups of MC20 (in case one of the PCs was flakey), and both started recording 94 minutes late.  The recording rule and guide listings look fine, so I am guessing no signal, since it is a channel I rarely record, in a direction other than the one the antenna is pointed towards.

But it would be helpful to have a specific logging of what actually happened.

Thanks !

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: [REQ] Recording Log
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:04:51 am »

This is on my list.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:42:39 pm »

This would be really helpful and it would be REALLY nice if the log were viewable within MC, preferably both in standard view and theater view so the user didn't have to go hunt down a text file.  Windows Media Center has a feature like this that they call "History" that's easily accessed from the scheduled recordings view.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:23:42 pm »

Yep. This is one of the things I would still like to see.

I used to like the log from my old Topfield software, TEDS Suite, which gave me a breakdown of why a program was, or was not, selected. For example, below is an extract of an old log that I still have. Not a great example, but it shows the program is selected for recording based on the name, and then rejected because it is a repeat. If I had multiple conditions set up for the Recording Rule, it evaluated each and showed the result.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 ABC2  Fr 20:30 - Sep 10 - 60 mins  Life on Mars
[Crime] A Manchester United fan is murdered as a local derby approaches and Sam, Gene and Annie go undercover to find the killer. Cast: John Simm; Philip Glenister (2004, UK) (M) [Rpt] M 
- Search String: Life on Mars  Rating: D  Filters: Channel Non-HD  Repeat   
  Matched on: Life on Mars
  Rejected by: Repeat filter 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The log was actually better than the above example, as it included graphics to show the result and colour coding. I have attached an example of the log in the web archive format, so the simple graphics can be seen.

I'm sure a much better log could be developed based on the MC data available. Knowing why a recording was missed, or why some unexpected recording was made, makes any DVR/PVR software far easier to use, helps keep the WAF high or at least reduces the plunge when a favourite program isn't recorded, and generally help users learn what the program is doing, keeping them happier.

Of course this is related to my comments about visibility of the Recording Rule ID in both the Guide data, the To Be Recorded list, the Recording Rules list, and any recorded shows views. It is all about understanding what MC is doing with regard to recordings, and therefore understand how to use the functionality better and avoid problems.

(Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now.  :D)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up