INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing art  (Read 4250 times)

mikeral

• Recent member
Missing art
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:52:33 am »

Hello,

Just downloaded MC 21 for Mac. I have about 1K albums on AFP share; scanned them into library and MC recognized all the albums. However, cover art was recognized only for 20% or so. All files are FLAC and have album art embedded in tags, every file has and art, I double checked and triple checked with mp3tagger, MediaMonkey, VOX...

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Missing art
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:57:53 am »

Are you sure the art for those albums isn't in an external file like "album name.jpg" ?  The only way to be totally sure, would be to copy one or more FLAC files to another directory, and then test with external taggers or players on those copied files.

I ask because almost my entire library is FLAC and every file has embedded art work.  MC has never failed to recognize any file with artwork in it.  But my files are local, not on a network share.  It shouldn't make any difference, but...

As another test, you could force MC to re-read the tags from some of the FLAC files.  Highlight the files from an album, then <right click> Library Tools > Update Library (from tags) .  Give that a try and let us know how it works.

Brian.

mikeral

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 10:04:54 am »

Brian, I am 100% sure art is in tags. I have no files like cover.jpg or folder.jpg etc. I spent quite a bit of time making sure i have it all in tags...
I double checked with mp3tagger and with 2 DAPS i have and they all can see and display the art. So can other software players on both PC and MAC.
I also rescanned library twice in MC.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:14:24 am »

Try making a fresh new library:  File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library .  Direct it to an empty directory on your hard drive.  This is the directory that will hold the *database* files, not the media.

Now, copy one album to your local drive.  An album that doesn't show album art in your original library.  Import this album and see if it has album art.  I'm not sure what's going to happen, but this test will eliminate two variables:  The current library, and the network storage.

As another possibility:  Upload one file you have an issue with and I'll try to load it into my MC library and see if mine can see the album art.  Just an offer.

Brian.

mikeral

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:28:08 am »

I copied 1 single album to local disk and created new library - same problem. How do I upload the FLAC to you?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:46:36 am »

^ Dropbox, google drive, or some other file hosting service.  The forum will only allow attachments up to 700kB, so it won't work.

Interesting problem; one I haven't seen before.

Brian.

mikeral

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:50 am »

I think i figure it out. You seem to have "a minimum art size", I noticed the original JPG in tag was small 130x130 pixels. I extracted it, resized to 600x600 pixels and wrote back into tag, rescanned file in MC and the art was recognized. So what is a minimum size and can you not limit it?

mikeral

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 11:08:24 am »

here is the link to file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxSd-1WmocGocUQ4VHZfZTgtTzQ/view?usp=sharing

let me know once you downloaded so i can remove it

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 11:36:24 am »

OK, I've downloaded and played with the file.  Indeed it will not show cover art in MC, yet it does have an embedded JPEG.  It's a teeny tiny little JPEG though:  127x130 pixels.  Just a thumbnail.

I messed around with it several ways and couldn't find a simple way of making it work.  Exporting the image from a tag editor (I used KID3) and then importing it did work.  Then MC was able to see the cover art.  This is obviously not practical for thousands of albums/files.

I'm not sure why MC can't see the embedded image file.  What program original embedded the image art?

I'm not sure what to advise from here.  Maybe someone else will have some good ideas.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 11:41:47 am »

Oh boy, that's funny!

We were searching for jpeg in the image type but not jpg.

Fixed next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 11:48:17 am »

Hey that works!  I changed the MIME type from image/jpg to image/jpeg.  Then updated tags in MC and the image appeared.

Cool that it will be fixed in the next build.  We haven't had a Mac build in a little while now...

Brian.

mikeral

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:20 am »

Funny indeed. can you please make sure you also searching for whatever else can be there , ".png" perhaps, not sure what's allowed in tags by standards ...

mikeral

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 12:24:08 pm »

And thank you for such fast and efficient support. That will definitely affect my decision to buy or not to buy once demo is over .
Pages: [1]   Go Up