INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find duplicates in playlists  (Read 1647 times)

cdarsch

• Recent member
Find duplicates in playlists
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:41:19 pm »

If I have a series of playlists, is there a way to find out whether I have duplicated any songs? I tried creating a smartlist that shows this (Playlists, is any... Only duplicates of, Name). This causes different files with the same name to show up, but it doesn't show me exact duplicates (i.e. the same file on disk). I'm pretty sure this used to work in prior versions because for many years I've been building an annual playlist for an event and my "duplicates" smartlist would keep me from repeating any songs.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Find duplicates in playlists
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 02:29:14 pm »

Hi
If you mean you have multiple playlists, I think you should be able to combine them into one smartlist, sure :)

But it depends on how you define duplicates. At the very least you should do Name+Artist I'd think (or some other criteria like genre)

My exact duplicate search  includes Album Artist, Album, Track No., Name (track no is needed for some jazz alternate takes)

for your purposes, Artist+Album+Name should do it (or just Artist+Name if you want to avoid dupes from compilations albums) - you can use the "Remove duplicates" in the wizard or ~nodup=[Artist],[Name] if you are typing it in, add the playlist to combine.

I think its easier than to search for dupes ("Only Duplicates of") and then edit them out. But maybe some "versions" are better than others so I suppose you can do it whichever way suits best

hope this helps some

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Find duplicates in playlists
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:53:03 pm »

This causes different files with the same name to show up, but it doesn't show me exact duplicates (i.e. the same file on disk).

If this is all you want, then look for duplicates of [filename].  That should do it.

Aridendelle's idea of [Artist],[Name] seems more useful though.  I wouldn't want to hear two versions of the same song by the same artist in a "party" environment.  Either way should yield good results for you.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up