INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC can't write sidecar files  (Read 2167 times)

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
MC can't write sidecar files
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:26:29 pm »

I'm running MC 21.037 as a server on a Windows Home Server 2011 machine. I did a reinstall of Windows Home Server recently and now MC can't write the sidecar files for videos. MC is running with administrator rights and I've checked that write permission is enabled. Everything else is working - I can move and delete files within Explorer in "Drives & Devices". Any ideas?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: MC can't write sidecar files
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:37:45 pm »

check in tools options under general and see if video is chosen under store files in sidecar.......
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 02:53:48 am »

As Windows Server is not a supported OS (only installs on some QNAP NASs are being suuported), this could be linked. To test install JRiver using WIN 7 to 10 and see.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 09:56:59 am »

MC is running with administrator rights

How?  Is it running normally on a logged in user account, which is an administrator?  Or did you manually change the shortcut/launch of MC to "run as an administrator"?

Because the latter is unsupported and will often cause permissions issues.

The most likely cause, assuming you don't just have sidecar writing turned off and aren't doing something weird with how you launch MC, is that your media storage volume has incorrect permissions. This happens commonly if you re-install Windows and use an existing disk from the previous installation, if you don't carefully manage the user accounts. It is easy enough to fix, though. The user account that is running MC needs to have full read/write permissions for the filesystem locations where it needs to write. This includes all of the parent directories in the "chain" (and any network shares, if using network attached storage).

More info:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks#Filesystem_Permissions_Errors
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 12:49:10 pm »

MC is running on a logged in user account which is an administrator.

I've checked all permissions in the Security tab (NTFS folder permissions), but I forgot to check the permissions for the Administrator in the Shared tab as I share two discs. So problem is now solved.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up