INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bitdepth on output  (Read 2172 times)

jakoble

• Recent member
bitdepth on output
« on: January 19, 2016, 06:21:06 am »

hi there,

using JRiver for over a year now, newest version right now.

my new system has a problem with 24bit integer on output, and i dont really understand why. I use a RME AIO 24bit/192khz via WASAPI and go via AES/EBU-cable into my custom Active Speakers, where the first D/A is happening. every component handles 24bit and can upscale and downscale khz if needed.

So everything IS fine when i let jriver choose the bitdepth on output.
First question: is there a way to identify what option jriver is using with the currently played music file?

Everything STAYS fine if i choose 16bit on output.

Everything BAD if i choose ANY other option on Bitdepth output. (Bad meaning it buffers longer than i am used to... then it "plays" the song for 2 or 3 seconds without sound and gives me the failure message that i have to change my output settings.

If i use Direct sound instead of WASAPI and enable 24bit in windows, everything works, but overall sound quality is worse than 16bit WASAPI.

Most of my loved FLACS are in 24bit, so i would love to see them played in 24bit WASAPI, and be sure about it (see FIRST question)

Second Question: anyone has encountered something similar? am i missing a setting somewhere? anyone a hint for me?

thank you very much,

j

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: bitdepth on output
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:12:07 am »

1. JRiver always uses the highest bit-depth that your devices support.
2. Initializing exclusive playback sometimes takes a second or two to initialize. There is a "play silence at startup for hardware synchronization option" for this.

jakoble

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:56 am »

thanks for your reply!
But for troubleshooting it would be nice to know what bitdepth jriver THINKS my hardware culd handle. if it is 16bit then somehow the RME card makes jriver THINK that it can handle only 16bit and i would know where to search for the solution.
And again: if 24bit integer is selected, it plays silence for 2 seconds and then gives me the error message.
am i correct, by assuming that playing 24bit integer should be possible with 24bit hardware?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:36:24 am »

So everything IS fine when i let jriver choose the bitdepth on output.
With WASAPI, JRiver knows the bitdepth required by the hardware which is why one should let JRiver choose the bitdepth on output most of the time. Since it works for you, you could leave it like that.

You can see what bitdepth is being used by looking at the Audio Path.

Since you are using an RME card, I would suggest using the ASIO driver instead of WASAPI. Since it is a 24-bit card, you need to check "Device uses only most significant 24-bits" in Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings when using the ASIO driver. This doesn't apply to WASAPI.

jakoble

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:48:04 am »

Thanks alot, that is helping ALOT. apreciated!!

i will dive into that tonight.

can you or someone else explain why ASIO works better for RME cards in a few words or provide a keyword for a search on my side?
Pages: [1]   Go Up