INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any advantage to using an SSD to record TV shows?  (Read 2555 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Any advantage to using an SSD to record TV shows?
« on: January 21, 2016, 04:25:43 pm »

I've always experienced sluggish TV channel changing (channel hopping) in MC. This goes back a very long way.

What's weird is it seems to come & go & I can't put my finger on just what is happening at the exact moment the sluggishness returns.

I was recording to a Western Digital green drive which spins at around 5400 RPM. This is no barn burning drive, it is meant to run cool & quite not fast.

I have a couple of old SSD's that have been out of service for about a year & thought that just maybe using them to record TV shows might allow MC to change channels faster while a show is recording.

So far it seems to help a little, I believe I see less sluggishness but it is still there sometimes.

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone else see any difference recording to an SSD vs. a old HD?

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
Re: Any advantage to using an SSD to record TV shows?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:36:22 pm »

Recording TV would be one of the few things you can do on your computer that isn't greatly enhanced by using an SSD. An SSD's greatest strength is it's random access speed, and recording is mostly sequential writes. As long as your WD drive is fast enough to record (it is), you won't see much of a performance improvement, if any.

Could it be that your drives are going to sleep? Maybe check your power options.

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: Any advantage to using an SSD to record TV shows?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 06:54:52 pm »

Recording TV would be one of the few things you can do on your computer that isn't greatly enhanced by using an SSD. An SSD's greatest strength is it's random access speed, and recording is mostly sequential writes. As long as your WD drive is fast enough to record (it is), you won't see much of a performance improvement, if any.

That's kind of what I've been wondering about (a sneaking suspicion that the WD drives were "good enough").

Could it be that your drives are going to sleep? Maybe check your power options.
No, already turned off all sleep modes for instant response on all drives.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up