INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fields Missing from Tag Actions When Fields Are Displayed in the Main Window  (Read 1907 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen

Why is the field "Duration" missing from the Tag Action panel only when I have selected "Show tags with values"? Other fields are missing as well ("Comments" for one). Please see attached image.

Also, why are attached images not visible in the message composition window when I select "Preview" until after I have uploaded the message?

Using version 21.0.30.

* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

That's an interesting question.  I've definitely noticed this.  My best guess is that "tags with values" shows tags that have been populated that do NOT contain file properties.  By "properties", I mean things like the format of the file, the compression type, resolution, duration, bitrate, bit depth, etc.

If my guess is correct, the idea is probably that when you show "tags with values", you're looking for user changeable metadata, as opposed to fixed data about the file that you can't change.

In the cases where I need to see that info, I always use "show all tags".  I guess that's rather obvious though.  :)

Brian.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen

The use of "Show all tags" is questionable when dealing only with audio files because MC displays a long list of fields related to the Image view and the Video view as well as the Audio view.

If I put a value in a tag (and I'm assuming that by "tag" one means "field") I expect MC would display that tag/field and its value when I select "Show tags with values". All of my custom fields are displayed in the Tag Action pane.

MC displays "Bitrate", "Compression", "Playlists", "Rating", and "Sample Rate" in the Tag Actions pane even though I have not populated these fields nor have I placed them into my Audio view. And when I select "Show tags with values", MC displays "Bookmark",  "Date First Rated", "Date Created", "Dynamic Range", "Peak Level...", and "Volume Level" as well. Those fields are populated (but not by me) but not displayed in my Audio view.

As a matter of fact, the "Duration" field is never displayed regardless of what I select in the Tag Status pane. I suspect that this problem is something that was lost and forgotten in some previous version and if so, maybe it could be reinserted in the next bug release??

blgentry

Does Duration show in "show all tags"?  Does it show when you do "also show > Duration" ?

Both work on my system.

You might be interested in the Experimental Tag Action Window, which allows you to customize which tags are shown based on the file type.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101448.0;topicseen

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

It doesn't show them because they are available in the header of the Tag AW.

(Note: I'm not defending the behavior. It bothers me too because you can't use the header to edit things, but that's what it does - and it also hides [Media Type] for some reason I don't get.)

You can use the Also Show submenu to get them back, so it isn't the end of the world.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen

@blgentry and glynor...

I've looked at the "Also show..." a thousand times and never saw it.

Thank you very much for the reminders.

Problem fixed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up