INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uk boy moving to the USA  (Read 2246 times)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Uk boy moving to the USA
« on: January 25, 2016, 01:33:49 am »

Guys

I have been offered a job in the USA and the chances are i'm probably going to take it. Question i have it US tuner cards and what would be the recommend types for the USA?
In the Uk i have a dual satellite and dual over the air tuners.
How does this differ in the US?
What are the best type/s of tuners i can get?
Whats best Cable or Satellite?
Who are generally the best providers for cable, internet etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Dave

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Uk boy moving to the USA
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 11:43:54 am »

All of this depends on what programming you are looking for, and what your budget is.

In the US, all satellite is like Sky, i.e. scrambled and paid-only.  (Free satellite is only for International channels like Al Jazeera and requires a bigger dish).

However, if you get Dish Network or DirecTV, you can get any programming on satellite, and don't need anything else.  If cost is not an object, or you want a lot of sports programming, that is the way to go.  They provide their own DVRs which are superior to most PC-based or cable DVRs.

Free programming is over-the-air broadcast in ATSC digital format.  You can get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW and several spanish language networks for free that way (roughly similar to ITV or Channel 4).  Those have some American sports and amazingly enough, NBC has the Premier League Saturday late match almost every week.

All the other channels are paid access only, either on the aforementioned Dish Network or DirecTV, or "cable".   Cable is by either an RF wire going into the home from the street, or in limited areas, fiber optic cable.   Most cable is inferior to satellite, both in quantity and quality of channels.  Fiber optic cable is comparable to satellite.

Depending on your programming preferences, satellite runs $50-$100 per month.  If you want to do the least expensive option, then you will want an ATSC antenna for the over-the-air channels, and then get the rest of your programming over the Internet (i.e. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, HBO Now, etc.).   But some major sports programming cannot be obtained without either satellite or cable subscription.

BTW, another difference is that each location has its own over-the-air ATSC channels, eg New York channels are entirely different than Los Angeles channels, even though in the evening, they show the same NBC, CBS, Fox, etc. programming.  And each location has its own cable provider, there is rarely a choice between two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up