INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server not updating Play Count and Last Played  (Read 3432 times)

dmitch77

• World Citizen
Library Server not updating Play Count and Last Played
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:49:37 am »

The Wiki states that, when serving a library to a client, "The client will send play count and last played information back to the server." I gather that this is (or should be) true even if you're not syncing the libraries. This feature does not appear to be working for me: I have MC 20 on two Macs, one server, one client. The server definitely does not update either its play count or its last played info for songs that the client plays. Is there a configuration option I need to set somewhere to enable this?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Server not updating Play Count and Last Played
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 12:16:28 pm »

when running a client you are loading the server's library virtually; to write to the actual library it needs to be synced to the "virtually" loaded library -- so either the auto sync option must be checked, or you have to manually sync. (Media Network=> Client options). If you are writing tag information to the disk you would also need to use an access key (Authentication option) otherwise the server's library will be read-only.

Actually sync is a little bit of a misnomer in that your are just updating the actual library every now and then. You are not (or should not) be loading two libraries at once; you should only (with rare exceptions) be running media server on one machine, the others become clients.

Note: the auto sync can still be a little off, and not pass through this information like last played date etc. It happens to me sometimes for very short tracks or last track on an album. When I do a lot of tagging I manually sync, as you can also have the server overwrite what you have been tagging back to the original.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:43:56 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be pedantic, but do you think that this means that the Wiki is in error?
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server#After_the_Library_is_Served
The specifically describes the feature I'm trying to get working. Unless I'm misreading this, it's saying that play count and last played get updated even without a sync.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 12:58:49 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be pedantic, but do you think that this means that the Wiki is in error?
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server#After_the_Library_is_Served
The specifically describes the feature I'm trying to get working. Unless I'm misreading this, it's saying that play count and last played get updated even without a sync.
Nope it doesn't say "even without a sync" ... read the first line of the paragraph
Quote from: Wiki
You can play your media on the client, and create playlists. But any changes you make on the client are not saved on the server until you select Library Sync... from the Library menu selection.
Maybe it should say any changes made instead of "changes you make" ... but if that is what you are referring to then sure I'd say you were being a bit pedantic  ;D

if you have read the page you might have missed this linked at the bottom of same
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync
although slightly incomplete, the basics are explained there. including the auto sync I mentioned

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 05:59:23 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up. I think my confusion probably came from three things:

1) The paragraph discussing changes being synced ("But any changes you make...") is actually two paragraphs prior the paragraph I quoted, and the paragraph in between them definitely was talking about the non-syncing situation.

2) In my view, playing a track is not making a change.

3) I knew about the page whose link you referred me to. That page enumerates a comparatively lengthy list of values that are included in a sync. Since the paragraph I quoted only lists two such items, and it followed a paragraph discussing the non-sync situation, I hoped/figured that this paragraph also discussed a non-sync situation.

Ah well. I still think it would be nice if this worked the way I (mis-)understood it. :-)

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 03:38:50 am »

well I'm not going to comment about the writing skills of the JRiver team or your interpretation  ;) The wiki is volunteer work for the most part

There are play stats that are "written" not to disk (unless you mess around), just to the library : eg Number of plays, skips, last played etc. How else is it supposed to "know" that you played something??? All players do this.

Just set the auto sync option, and nothing else will be changed UNLESS you want to change it  --- like retagging etc. Just turn the autosync on, and you'll be fine  - its a sync in that there could be multiple clients, btw
Pages: [1]   Go Up