INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't see DLNA zones from one computer on another  (Read 1859 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
I can't see DLNA zones from one computer on another
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:37:35 pm »

I have just verified both machines are set as controller, renderer and server; but I cannot see the zone playing music in my HTPC from my laptop.  I do see the laptop zones from the HTPC, just not the other way around.  I tried r-click > Refresh Dynamic Entries from the laptop and from the HTPC, but I still don't see the HTPC zone on the laptop.

I was wanting to control (skip tracks) from the laptop the music playing on the HTPC.

What am I missing?
pretend this is something funny

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: I can't see DLNA zones from one computer on another
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:51:39 pm »

Firewall?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:46 pm »

So, I've been trying to figure this out, but have not made much progress.  I turned off all DLNA sharing stuff on the HTPC (which had been showing zones from the laptop), and turned all DLNA sharing off on the laptop also.  I then restarted both machines, then turned on sharing for all services on the HTPC.  I turned on sharing on the laptop and 2 of the 3 zones from the laptop immediately showed up on the HTPC.  I don't know why the 3rd zone isn't showing up, but it is the only zone which is set for HDMI playback (the other 2 are set for Direct Zone and the HD Audio Headphone jack).

So, I'm now thinking that HDMI zones cannot be shared or controlled, but that seems 'wrong' to not allow an HDMI zone to be controlled by another controller.

I have all DLNA sharing turned on for both computers, and only 2 of the 3 zones from the laptop show on the HTPC, and the only zone on the HTPC does not show on the laptop.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:38:24 am »

just guessing, but I see you have media server running on both. Does that mean you have two libraries loaded?

Normally the client can control the server (the server zones show up on the client if the option is checked); the server can't control the client, right? On the machine running media server, it would show only its local zones.

You have 2 machines running as server. If you are loading the same library, I bet this has something to do with it, rather than DLNA sharing. You could test this by seeing if the zone that are not appearing are shown if you turn off media server on the machine (testing each machine as server and client only).

If one machine is serving library A and the other library B, not sure ... but thats where I'd look. If you are trying to serve 2 separate libraries, maybe some magic is required like using a separate port, one machine using Authenticate, the other direct IP? but I'm no expert on running multiple libraries, and as I said just fishing   :D

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 10:43:52 am »

Well, I ended up just recreating all the zones, and now it all works like I expected. I may have deleted the zone entries manually at some point in the past, but I would have expected the rebuild functionality to fix the problem. Oh well, it all seems good now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up