INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why recording gets cut short?  (Read 3377 times)

drmcclelland

Why recording gets cut short?
« on: January 01, 2016, 10:30:23 pm »

Hi there - just purchased this yesterday after a short trial, so I'm a brand new user and this may be a issue of me not understanding JRiver MediaCenter yet...

I have recorded some things from my HDHomeRun successfully, but others occasionally are cut short.  For example, I have a recurring recording set for I Love Lucy, but sometimes it only records 12 seconds or 54 seconds, instead of 30 minutes.  Tonight, I had a recording setup for the Sherlock Victorian episode, but it quit recording after 1hr 12min even though I had it configured for 1hr 33min.

Is there a way for me to know why a recording would stop early?  some logfile I can check?  A noob misunderstanding of configuration for recordings?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Why recording gets cut short?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:05:52 am »

I can think of a couple of things that can cause recording problems:

1. A third-party application tried to access the same tuner that was used for recording in MC.  For example, did you have WMC still running on your computer?  Did you still have scheduled recordings in WMC?  Did you play with WMC or HDHomerun application while MC was recording?

2.  If you scheduled to recording more programs than your tuners can handle, and you have set different priorities for each recording, then a recording could be interrupted by another recording with higher priority.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:51 pm »

I had the same problem when I was starting with hdhomerun and JRiver. I can't remember what fixed it, but I believe it was one of the following:
1) Make sure your hdhomerun firmware is the latest version from silicondust's web site.
2) Disable Windows Media Center from running at all, even in the background. If you are running win 8.1 or earlier, you can get rid of it in add/remove features. Or just bite the bullet and move to windows 10 if you haven't already.
3) Try a different brand of Ethernet switch between your PC and the hdhomerun. HDHomeruns can be picky devices.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:08:05 pm »

I found my earlier post detailing the solution - but it was similar short recordings on Windows Media Center. Still, the solution may be the same for your issue:

When my HDHR4-2US were plugged into a brand new Netgear GS108Ev3 switch (firmware 2.00.05), Win 8.1 Media Center recordings terminated early 100% of the time, after a few seconds to several minutes. When the same HDHR4-2US are plugged into a TPLink TL-SG105 switch using the same ethernet cables, the recordings succeed 100% of the time.

The DHCP server (an Asus RT-AC66U router running 3.0.0.4.376_3861 firmware) is connected to another port on the switch in question.

drmcclelland

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:37:44 pm »

Thanks for the ideas - I still have trouble with recordings getting cut short with JRiver even though I don't have Windows Media Center installed.  I'll try swapping out Ethernet cables and perhaps routers/switches to see if I can eliminate the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up