INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluray skipping/stuttering on playback  (Read 4738 times)

Ambler1980

• Recent member
Bluray skipping/stuttering on playback
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »

I have ver. 21.0.23, and I've just started playing blurays...

Today I got John Wick and Sphere.  John Wick would stutter pretty badly in spots... the audio was unaffected, but the video would stutter and slow down very often.  Sphere was mostly fine until about 30 minutes in, when suddenly the video started to play in seemingly slow motion/stutter, but the audio was fine.  I would have to stop the video, close the program and restart and that would take care of it for a few minutes, but the issue would return.

I have a pretty fast laptop and have no issues playing large mkv files.  My blurays also play fine with PowerDVD, with sometimes VLC, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

bhampster

• World Citizen
Re: Bluray skipping/stuttering on playback
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:12:40 pm »

Are you playing back from an optical drive?.. I don't think you specified.

If you have converted to a file that plays back correctly in VLC and has problems in MC then we may have some useful information. I would say if you are using standard Red October playback should be the same as VLC.

-Brian

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 08:10:02 pm »

Are you playing back from an optical drive?.. I don't think you specified.

If you have converted to a file that plays back correctly in VLC and has problems in MC then we may have some useful information. I would say if you are using standard Red October playback should be the same as VLC.

-Brian

Yes, the optical drive in my laptop is a bluray drive.

I cannot test it in VLC because it only plays certain blurays... they have a problem with that. 

I actually did some digging and found some help in another thread, but it only fixed Sphere.  After I checked 'video clock' and 'hardware acceleration' in video options, Sphere played fine for the rest of the movie.

I just put in John Wick, and it played fine for 5 or 6 minutes until it paused for no apparent reason and remained stuck.  But there is some back story to this, because it took alot longer for DVDfab to de-encrypt the disc... a few minutes.  As opposed to Sphere, which only took a few seconds.  The John Wick bluray seems to be a stripped down rental version like you find at Redbox with Lionsgate/Summit blurays... people have been complaining about the stripped down soundtracks from those studios with rental discs... it's supposed to have TrueHD, but only has a 640kbps DD 5.1 track.

Anyway, this John Wick bluray just seems like it is a bad disc or something compared to the others.  I also have Django Unchained and that seems to play fine, though I only watched the first 20 minutes or so...

So is it just a bad disc, since the others seem to play fine?

EDIT: Okay, not John Wick never got unstuck and crashed JRiver.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 02:44:17 am »

Firstly, check in 'Options --> Video --> General Video Settings' and make sure 'Video mode' is set to 'Red October Standard'.

However, it sounds as though DVDFab is struggling to decrypt the bluray disc or that it cannot decrypt the disc fast enough. Obviously, DVDFab has to decrypt the disc on the fly faster that the video is playing to maintain smooth playback and it appears that this is not happening. I know DVDFab (and other decrypters) do struggle with certain copy protection systems used on blurays.

One thing you could try is to copy the bluray to your dard disc first which DVDFab should decrypt as you copy it and then try playing back from the hard disc. This way you will be able to see if DVDFab falls over at any point in the copying process. If it does copy ok then play back from the hard disc and see if that plays ok because the decrypting will already have been done.

Russell

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:46:50 am »

Firstly, check in 'Options --> Video --> General Video Settings' and make sure 'Video mode' is set to 'Red October Standard'.

However, it sounds as though DVDFab is struggling to decrypt the bluray disc or that it cannot decrypt the disc fast enough. Obviously, DVDFab has to decrypt the disc on the fly faster that the video is playing to maintain smooth playback and it appears that this is not happening. I know DVDFab (and other decrypters) do struggle with certain copy protection systems used on blurays.

One thing you could try is to copy the bluray to your dard disc first which DVDFab should decrypt as you copy it and then try playing back from the hard disc. This way you will be able to see if DVDFab falls over at any point in the copying process. If it does copy ok then play back from the hard disc and see if that plays ok because the decrypting will already have been done.

Russell

My only issue is that I get lower video quality when using RO standard. 

But the problem only seemed to be with John Wick and the fact that it's a weird rental disc and not the retail version.  Django and Sphere played fine.  I will see what happens when I get my next batch of blurays from netflix.

On a related note, I play FLAC music with Asio and my 24 bit DAC.  95% of my music plays fine, but some reason certain tracks skip for the first ten or twenty seconds, then play fine for the rest of the track.  It's weird because it has only done that with two albums so far, just regular 16/44.1 tracks... even my high rez 24/96 tracks play fine.  Also every single track I play skips for a couple seconds toward the end of the song as its about to end and transition to the next song in the album.  Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 12:34:24 am »

Also every single track I play skips for a couple seconds toward the end of the song as its about to end and transition to the next song in the album.  Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Try changing how your tracks change under Options>Audio>Track Change.

I use Gapped Fade, but there are 5 Track Change options available not including the transition change times for all options but Gapless.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 06:56:35 am »

But the problem only seemed to be with John Wick and the fact that it's a weird rental disc and not the retail version.  Django and Sphere played fine.  I will see what happens when I get my next batch of blurays from netflix.

You're stealing when you copy a rental disk. You really should not be posting that on a forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up