INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display not HDCP Compliant. But it is.  (Read 24728 times)

Guybrush

• World Citizen
Display not HDCP Compliant. But it is.
« on: January 31, 2016, 12:52:15 am »

I have an HTPC with a 980 Ti GPU hooked up to a Panasonic AX800 TV. There is a Displayport connection and an HDMI 2.0 connection. Displayport works great, but only supports 60Hz, so if I want judder-free Blu-ray playback, I need a 24Hz refresh rate on the TV. This is done through HDMI. The TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant and so is the GPU. However, Nvidia control panel states that the display is not HDCP compliant, and so I get errors trying to play Blu-rays in MC or PowerDVD. There is a setting in the TV menu for HDCP, and it is set to 2.2. Why is there a handshake issue? When booting up, the TV generally comes on before the PC awakes from sleep. Again, there is no problem with Displayport connection. Do I need a special HDMI cable? Everything has been saying that a special cable will not be needed for HDCP 2.2. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Display not HDCP Compliant. But it is.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 02:12:51 am »

Not that this helps you solve your HDCP problem but, you do not need a HDCP connection with MC as it does not play any protected content.  If you are playing Blu rays with MC they must first be decrypted (AnyDVD HD etc or a decrypted rip).  You will need HDCP working for PowerDVD to play BD's however.
JRiver CEO Elect

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:50:34 pm »

I've been using MC until my dvdfab passkey updated and now it doesn't work. Only had the free lite version but that is requiring me to purchase now. If their lite version doesn't work I don't have confidence that the paid version will. I would happily purchase anydvd but they only take visa and I have a MasterCard. I even purchased a visa gift card to buy anydvd but they didn't take it. Also I hesitate to purchase either until I see if they will work with new uhd 4k blurays. Don't know if anydvd or passkey strip hdcp 2.2. If you have info on that I'd love to hear. Thanks.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »

I don't have the info you are asking about but they do take both mastercard and Visa http://www.slysoft.com/en/purchase.html

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:10:51 pm »

Thanks! I wonder if that is new. I tried to purchase a few times last year and the transaction never went through and I never saw the MasterCard emblem before. Will try again.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:51:30 pm »

FYI, turns out the 980ti is not hdcp 2.2 compliant, despite the countless professional reviews that claimed otherwise. Here's to hoping anydvd can handle 4k bluray.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:11:15 pm »

I've been using MC until my dvdfab passkey updated and now it doesn't work. Only had the free lite version but that is requiring me to purchase now. If their lite version doesn't work I don't have confidence that the paid version will.

I've been using the paid (lifetime) version of DVDfab Passkey for years now, and update to every new release. It always works fine, and they seem to keep it very up to date with respect to disc releases.

I don't play UHD/4K media though, and a quick search doesn't confirm if DVDfab can handle HDCP 2.2, yet.

Bummer about the 980ti.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 06:19:41 am »

Apologies in advance if I'm not across the details of the issue. This is a quick one before snooze time for me.

I don't play UHD/4K media though, and a quick search doesn't confirm if DVDfab can handle HDCP 2.2, yet.

I'm not playing with UHD/4K either but I am aware that HD Fury have a product called, Integral with the objective of addressing the quirks that can get thrown up when video playback hardware that should be compatible isn't. From what I can gather it's not an uncommon problem.

Just another option that might help.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:11:48 am »

Wow! The integral could be just what I need. Thanks for pointing it out!

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 09:29:50 am »

Isn't HDCP not an issue if you play content that's been ripped and decrypted?  If so, why not just rip your BDs with MakeMKV?  It's free and should remove the encryption from the BDs that it rips.

Brian.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 09:52:40 am »

While the latest Nvidia graphics cards have HDMI 2.0 ports, there hasn't been driver released yet to support HDCP 2.2.

You have several options:

I have a GTX 960 and an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 display and can play back any content from the HTPC with no issue.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 10:05:53 am »

While the latest Nvidia graphics cards have HDMI 2.0 ports, there hasn't been driver released yet to support HDCP 2.2.

Note that the only current cards with HDCP 2.2 hardware are the GTX960 and GTX950, none of the slightly older higher-performance cards.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 10:47:31 am »

I have tried playing movies with smooth motion on Madvr on Displayport at 60hz, and it's still not as smooth as I hoped it would be. I still get a lot of judder. The purpose behind my hdcp 2.2 quest is to play 4k content. Here are some questions about this, some unanswerable at the moment:

1. Can PC BDXL drives play UHD 4k blurays?
2. Or will Anydvd be able to strip the encryption?
3. Displayport at 60Hz won't get around hdcp, right?
4. Will the PC Netflix app allow 4k streaming with full hdcp 2.2 compliance?
5. Will makemkv be able to rip uhd blurays?

I still rent actual blu-ray discs from netflix, so ripping everything I get in the mail is a pain, i prefer to plug and play if there is a possible hardware solution.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 11:15:25 am »

1. Can PC BDXL drives play UHD 4k blurays?
2. Or will Anydvd be able to strip the encryption?
3. Displayport at 60Hz won't get around hdcp, right?
4. Will the PC Netflix app allow 4k streaming with full hdcp 2.2 compliance?
5. Will makemkv be able to rip uhd blurays?

The only question anyone can answer is 3, and the answer is "No", DP also has content protection similar to HDCP, although it might be slightly less strict depending on the device in use.
For everything else its just wait and see. Personally I wouldn't expect (1) to be a yes, because UHD Blu-rays new encryption may require hardware encryption in the drive (so called bus encryption).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 11:40:55 am »

The only question anyone can answer is 3, and the answer is "No", DP also has content protection similar to HDCP, although it might be slightly less strict depending on the device in use.
For everything else its just wait and see. Personally I wouldn't expect (1) to be a yes, because UHD Blu-rays new encryption may require hardware encryption in the drive (so called bus encryption).

Is there any info on how DP content protection relates to 4k/UHD? I'm guessing you're right on the bus encryption. I hadn't thought of that.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 08:00:08 am »

HDFury replied to me and the Integral won't work in my situation. It is only good where the source is HDCP 2.2 compliant but the sink is not. In my case, the sink (TV) is compliant, but the source (GPU) is not. :(

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 06:36:01 am »

HDFury replied to me and the Integral won't work in my situation. It is only good where the source is HDCP 2.2 compliant but the sink is not. In my case, the sink (TV) is compliant, but the source (GPU) is not. :(

Bummer. Worth asking the question at the very least. Hope you sort yourself out soon.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 12:29:51 pm »

I don't have the info you are asking about but they do take both mastercard and Visa http://www.slysoft.com/en/purchase.html

So I tried again to purchase anydvdhd, and despite the mastercard logo, I get an error saying they cannot accept mastercard at this time.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 03:27:38 pm »

If you don't specifically want anyDVDHD, try DVDfab Passkey DVD & Blu-ray Lifetime. http://www.dvdfab.cn/order.htm

That is what I use. Visa, MasterCard, and something else. They have discounts all the time. The current 20% off coupon seems to be "FAB-JAJ-OFF". Look around the site though, as there may be better discounts available.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 03:51:03 pm »

What advantage do DVDFab or AnyDVDHD have over MakeMKV?

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 04:14:25 pm »

They both decrypt the program on the fly Brian. So I can watch a Blu-ray disc (non-3D) in MC just by putting the disc in the drive, waiting a little while DVDfab analyses it, and then MC plays the main movie.

MakeMKV would require me to rip the Blu-ray to hard disk before I could watch it.

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 04:18:36 pm »

They both decrypt the program on the fly Brian. So I can watch a Blu-ray disc (non-3D) in MC just by putting the disc in the drive, waiting a little while DVDfab analyses it, and then MC plays the main movie.

Well that's certainly a feature difference!  It's outside of my typical use model, but I COMPLETELY understand why you'd want it, particularly if you don't have a dedicated BD player.  Thanks for the info.

Brian.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 05:08:14 pm »

What advantage do DVDFab or AnyDVDHD have over MakeMKV?
Besides playback of live discs, like rentals, it also simplifies the workflow for family members since you can rip the Blu-ray in JRiver. I have AnyDVDHD set to remove any video segments shorter than 20 minutes. Anyone can put in a Blu-ray, press rip in JRiver, and the movie will rip and be automatically added to the library. It is usually only ripping the main feature so there isn't much size savings by using MakeMKV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up