INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie, minimum equipment needed to play flac files to amp/speakers.  (Read 3567 times)

Karrma

• Recent member

Hi, I have last year started using JRiver, for my PONO player, and have quite a few FLAC files now, much more than for one SDcard. I have been using it as a DAC for our amp/speakers. I do have an external hard drive, 2 TB, with all my music on it, and was looking into how to connect that to the amp and stereo system.  I was planning to get an external DAC or a good quality integrated DAC/amplifier system, and then realized we also need a connection to the DAC that can read and play the music files. I was shocked at these very expensive server systems when looking in the stores, and reading here, it sounds like the MC here can be used to send files, with just a few modifications and components. So if I have a laptop with Windows 10 and JRiver21, and connected to my external terabyte drive via a USB port, what do I need to connect it to a DAC and or integrated system to play my music from the computer.  (right now it is audio only)

I also have an android phone, and was reading about using it via JRemote. 

What is the difference between a MC and a NAS?

I have more knowledge than computer terminology, and access to a hubby with more knowlege than I, but less time for research.  (That means sometimes I need the terms and wording explained in simpler language, but if so, can usually get the concepts.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

For connection between your laptop and the DAC, you'll need a cable. Simple as that. Just make sure it's the correct connection at each end.

The details depend on what you've got to work with at either end. Hard to be more specific with the detail provided.

If you're starting out, I'd endorse your current plan of getting operational with the hardware you've got to hand. I wouldn't spend serious bucks on a dedicated proprietary audio server unless you're dead certain that this is what will suit your needs. Try the MC method with a computer and you might find that it's non-audio capability is of value to your situation.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up