INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User field getting tagged as number instead of string  (Read 4707 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
User field getting tagged as number instead of string
« on: January 08, 2016, 04:41:44 pm »

I decided to start a new thread about this, as the old one instead started to be about the bug in the user-system (that is now fixed :)), hope that is ok.

When chosing to turn on tagging for the user-field, the tag being written to the field is not the same as the User assigned to the file, instead there is a number tagged, for instance if a file has the user "ingrid" and i tag it, the user-field is tagged as "1000" in the file. See attached screenshot.

flac.rules

Re: User field getting tagged as number instead of string
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 09:39:15 am »

I checked with a fresh install on a work computer, and the behavior seems to be the same, I checked with mp3s this time. Created two new users "alfa" and "beta", tagges to files with them, and the tags are filled with "TXXX (User): 1001 and 1002. This leads me to belive that it is just the number of a database entry or something. Is it possible to instead write the string with the user?

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:17:32 am »

I understand the problem description.  I have no idea why it's happening, but your description is very clear.

What effect is this problem having on your use of MC?

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:44:22 am »

This is one of those fields that is greyed out and is indicated as an "unknown" in Data Type in its properties. It also seems to be a list type field. You can't mess with these fields they are handled differently. The Name you typed in is a Display Name not the actual data string (seems to be an integer)

If for some reason you want to write the user name to the file, why not create a custom field and have Ingrid and Beta and everyone added into it. You could make it a delimited list field for convenience and use it for the rule for Files to show" in the actual User Field.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:57:18 am »

What happens if you make a new string field and type in =[user]?  It may write the display name

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:34 am »

What happens if you make a new string field and type in =[user]?  It may write the display name

No. Give it a shot in any field, it won't. Special field type

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 11:55:35 am »

I understand the problem description.  I have no idea why it's happening, but your description is very clear.

What effect is this problem having on your use of MC?

Brian.

The effect on the day to day use is zero. But i do like to tag my files with info, not just having in the database, sometimes databases gets wiped, lost or you do a mistake. Having "complete" metadata in the file is useful.

flac.rules

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 02:32:35 pm »

This is one of those fields that is greyed out and is indicated as an "unknown" in Data Type in its properties. It also seems to be a list type field. You can't mess with these fields they are handled differently. The Name you typed in is a Display Name not the actual data string (seems to be an integer)

If for some reason you want to write the user name to the file, why not create a custom field and have Ingrid and Beta and everyone added into it. You could make it a delimited list field for convenience and use it for the rule for Files to show" in the actual User Field.

I guess I don't need to mess with the field, I just wish the display name was written to the tag (although i guess it is difficult without somewhat "messing with it", as it would be difficult to read from the tag back to the library).

I guess a custom field is a possibility, but i can't copy the user from the regular user-field(?), and i have to manually add them whenever i add a new user to a file(?). It seems to be a bit more hassle.

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 04:01:30 pm »

Bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 04:16:24 pm »

Well by default the user field isn't even checked to be a tag field.

I guess by checking it you're just getting the internal version of the field (an array of user IDs) written to the file.

Not sure if there's anything to do, or not.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 04:28:44 pm »

Yeah. It is writing out the internal nUserID.

By the way, this is the internal User ID associated with the User. This is explained briefly in the Automation section of the Users article on the Wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users#Automation

It's actually pretty cool you can look at it that way, I guess, rather than opening the user.jmd file in a text editor (which risks breaking it if you accidentally type something and then hit Save).

I'm pretty sure there is nothing to be done here. Users are specific to MC. Why do you want them written to the file?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

flac.rules

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 01:08:24 am »

Yeah. It is writing out the internal nUserID.

By the way, this is the internal User ID associated with the User. This is explained briefly in the Automation section of the Users article on the Wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users#Automation

It's actually pretty cool you can look at it that way, I guess, rather than opening the user.jmd file in a text editor (which risks breaking it if you accidentally type something and then hit Save).

I'm pretty sure there is nothing to be done here. Users are specific to MC. Why do you want them written to the file?

As stated, for the same reason any tag wants to get written to a file, having the information independently on the file, in case of databases getting lost, deleted and so on.

Something can be done, the information is there, but that of course doesn't mean that the team find it worth the bother, or think it should be done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up