INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Now from Theater Mode on a Second Monitor?  (Read 2301 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Playing Now from Theater Mode on a Second Monitor?
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:46:21 am »

Happy Holidays all,
I may have asked for this in a different way a long time ago, but I would like to make this new request.

When playing music in Standard Mode, you can "detach" the visualization and have it display on a second monitor. Very handy when switching back and forth with videos too.

When in Theater Mode, and playing music, the display starts with a dimmed shot of the artist and the Cover Art superimposed, then a bit later the cover fades away and we get this really nice slideshow of pictures of the performer.

Is there anyway I can run standard mode on Monitor one, and have Theater Mode's music display moveable to Monitor two?
That would really be something!

Thanks

Don

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing Now from Theater Mode on a Second Monitor?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:28:46 pm »

It would be nice if MC came with a "visualization" (which could then run in Display View or in a Detached Display) that made a similar slideshow to the one used in Theater View.

But, unfortunately, it doesn't. Theater View is a View Mode:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Modes

These transform full UI. You cannot use them independently and simultaneously.

With separate PCs you can do it, of course. You could have one copy of MC in Standard View, connected to and controlling the Theater View copy of MC on the second PC. You can also set up MC to allow you to run multiple instances on the same PC, but this is not supported or recommended, and I don't know about using one to control the other. You could try that I suppose.

Or, if you were very determined, you could do it with a Virtual Machine.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:05:54 am »

Thanks for the reply. What a great forum!

In the past I did try running two copies of MC and had one control the other. It worked most the time.
I tried a virtual (box) machine yesterday, and got similar results.

For music alone it seems to keep it together and work with no serious problems. It is when MC switches to video.
I use MC for a jukebox in my "Man Cave" while me and da boys play pool. I have both Audio and Video music. Folks walk up to the Standard View and pick songs they want to hear. Songs are then added to Playing now in the order picked (or shuffle remaining). So Audio and Video are mixed. (This is why I still campaign for a Playing Now that removes tracks already played. We don't want to save the list, we want the list to show the track playing at the top, and what's next below. We don't care what was played. The new "Remove Played from List" Option works great, but I want to push it after every song...).

When hooked up with two MCs running either in a Virtual Box, or not, I put one of them on monitor two and put it into Theater View Playing Now view. I also have it so both audio and video are set to play in Theater View Playing Now. Then the other MC is running in standard mode on the first monitor. I then tell the Standard View MC to use the other one's Library. And then to play to "There". That all works fine, but MC gets confused and sometimes plays my regular visualization (GForce), and sometimes plays the video in a smaller window with parts of Theater view showing around the outside. When it is playing gforce accidentally, if I click on the gforce, it goes away and TheaterMode Playing Now shows. If it plays the video in a smaller boxed in window, there isn't much I can do. I don't want to touch it, just want it do the switch back and forth on it's own.

So yes I have tried that. :)   That's why I am asking for a Visualization like that. I do understand why it isn't the same, but you guys perform miracles with code all the time, I thought I would ask.

Thanks again.

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 03:43:06 pm »

So there's no possibility to have a Visualization created that looks up pictures of the artist on the internet and displays them as a slideshow?
Pages: [1]   Go Up