INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging remote files  (Read 3008 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Tagging remote files
« on: February 09, 2016, 03:27:13 am »

Hello
I want to understand how tagging works in the following situation
- JRiver media server is remote (externa IP @ 3.329.x.x:jriverport). It is username and password protected
- library is also remote (in the same LAN of the media server
- I listen music for a JRiver client @office

I'd like sometimes to fix tag or cover art issues for some albums: appearently I can do this (nobody complaint, neitther the serve nor the client) but it looks like the operation is void.
I am not asked for crediantials as soon I want to change something in the remote database: is that correct? This make me nervous: credentials must be always asked or just they put the database as read-only or whatelse?
If I update the remote media library from the server @home (change covert art, rearrange file locations or tags etc.) I can see the changes (from the server @home, but sometimes these changes are not reflected by the client @office
I'd like to full control the authentication (e.g. in the case I"d like to share my library to a JRiver clientof a friend which I do not want him to modify the contents, just listen)

Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging remote files
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:25:39 am »

Hi

to tag remotely from a client you must be using the Authentication option, which needs a password and access key. Although it might appear your are changing the metadata, you are not. The Library a client loads is,  lets call it a "virtual" copy, that is "synced" with the actual JR library files on the machine running mediaserver.

Once the access key is entered you will not be asked for credentials again. If you are accessing via direct IP it is essentially read-only (note: not sure if playback stats gets ported over or not?? this shouldn't be an issue, but if someone could confirm - I no longer have a WAN setup just using JRemote presently externally)

So don't give out your access key to anyone, (note: if you restore your library file to a friend's machine to help set them up, your access key does get ported over. If in doubt, have them turn off the option Auto Sync with server under Media Network/Client Options). They do need the IP and port etc. of course.

There are a few things you can not do from a client, two of which you want to do. Here are the key ones:

Importing
Rename, Move, Copy of files and folders
Cover Art Manipulation
Creating/Modifying Views

To do those you need a remote desktop app running on both machines. I recommend the freeware version of TeamViewer. Easy to setup, powerful and doesn't take up a lot of resources

EDIT: on syncing, you would normally havbe the auto sync option on. The sync is a very low priority process, and if you have spent a bit of tie tagging an album, you might want to force a sync by File=>Library=>Sync changes ... to avoid that the server does not overwrite what you are working on. Doesn't happen all of the time, so normally this is not an issue.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:06:42 am »

thank you!
is that true also for JREmote? I enabled the authentication @library serve side and now if I lanch a client I am correctly asked for credentials. It doesn't with JRemote android application
Also, JRemote displays old tags and cover pictures: it looks like it has somehow cached an old databases which does not get updated
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 04:56:46 am »

thank you!
is that true also for JRemote? I enabled the authentication @library serve side and now if I launch a client I am correctly asked for credentials. It doesn't with JRemote android application
Also, JRemote displays old tags and cover pictures: it looks like it has somehow cached an old databases which does not get updated
I don't have any android devices so I'm not sure .. I'd be surprised if it worked differently though.

Even if you have set up your media server machine to run under authentication, that doesn't mean you can't still connect via a direct IP. What you are describing, happens on the IOS version of JRemote too sometimes, especially after adding or modifying Views. You can try the refresh icon, but what I do is "reboot" the program in the device -- which forces it to reconnect to the server. In IOS it stays "loaded" for quicker access when flipping between apps, not sure how this works on Android, but stopping and restarting the connection would do it.

However, what I would do is probably delete (or modify) the server connection in the device. Then reconnect by filling out the access key this time. That should sort "the credential" thing permanently, I think (can't test as I said). Then you will also be able to do some remote tagging (albeit limited) if you really need to too. Hope this is not too muddled of a reply :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up