INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard focus problem  (Read 23270 times)

fdewit

• Recent member
Keyboard focus problem
« on: February 17, 2016, 09:27:41 am »

We plan to demonstrate our hardware using JRiver Media Center.

The software will be installed on a i7 Windows 10 PC (more details can be given).

There is one problem that we have, after a short time using ‘Theater View’ the keyboard is unresponsive, although it is possible to leave ‘Theater View’ using Alt-F4 and then restart it using F4 <ctrl>4, this indicates that there are no lock-up’s and it also indicates (to me) that the system lost focus on the keyboard.

(Sorry I have been writing F4 while <ctrl>4 was intended)

================

This is a fresh Windows 10 Pro install, downloaded and installed yesterday, this also is a fresh JRiver Media Center install, downloaded and installed yesterday.

The problem has been seen on multiple machines, at multiple places, and from version 19.x.x. up to 21.0.23 (as currently on the download site.

This machine was our last try to build a clean machine, no other software has been installed, all software installed can be seen in this list:
X:\Setup\Installed\UltraVNC; 1.2.10 X64 Setup.exe
X:\Setup\Installed\FoxitReader 73 enu Setup Prom.exe
X:\Setup\Installed\Media Center 21 0023.exe
X:\Setup\Installed\Media Center 21 0048.exe
X:\Setup\Installed\Media Center 21 Windows-327029.mjr
X:\Setup\Installed\RadioSure-2.2.1046-setup.exe
X:\Setup\Installed\Teac UD503; Driver Install Guide.pdf
X:\Setup\Installed\Teac UD503; Driver v108e; TEAC-AudioHS64.exe

<Edit>
All hardware is in this list:
Asus Geluidskaart Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe 7.1 PCI-e
Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 iP67, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
Asus Videokaart PCI-e GeForce GTX560 Ti DirectCU II 1GB 2xDVI
Corsair 2x4GB, DDR3, PC16000, CL9, XMS3
Corsair Voeding AX1200W 1200W, Modulair
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz 8MB Box
Seagate Harddisk 3.5" 3TB, SATA600, 7200rpm, ST33000651AS
<Edit>

Regards,
Frans
CEO at SignatureOrigin
www.signatureorigin.com

HiFi Stereo Set by Frans de Wit, on Flickr

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Keyboard focus problem
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:30 am »

Please try the build from the top of this board.  It's 21.0.48.

Please try the Media Keys options and report the results.

Are you using VNC?  Try using the machine itself instead. 

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:43:34 am »

Did so :) now running 21.0.48

Please try the build from the top of this board.  It's 21.0.48.

Are you using VNC?  Try using the machine itself instead. 

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:02:21 am »

And now it just failed, no keyboard responce, but I can use <alt>F4 to leave theater view and F4 <ctrl>4 to enter it again, then the keyboard functions as normal.

Did so :) now running 21.0.48

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:05:46 am »

Please answer the other questions.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 11:07:50 am »

Are you using VNC?  Try using the machine itself instead.  

JRiver Media Center has a screen-sharing option?

The problem is independent of VNC, using the keyboard attached to the PC gives the same problem, even unloading VNC does not solve anything, we also need VNC for our support and installation-services independent from JRiver Media Center.

Regards,
Frans.

P.s. I misread that :), but the problem is still independent from VNC
P.s. Just to be fair, I have unloaded VNC-server, I have rebooted the machine, and now the only way to control it is the keyboard, lets see...

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:08:26 am »

I'm working on that :)

Please answer the other questions.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 11:13:19 am »

Not sure what that means, we do not use a keyboard (or demand from our customers) that has 'Media Keys'. The keyboard we use here is a Logitech Dinovo Edge http://support.logitech.com/en_au/product/dinovo-edge keyboard. The keys we use to navigate Theater View are Up, Down, Left, Right, Backspace, Enter and Space (no Media Keys needed). It would be awkward to change the keyboard mapping, as these keys are perfectly o.k. and fit there purpose.

Regards,
Frans.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 11:31:26 am »

There is a search window at the bottom of the options page.  Search for "Media Keys".  Try different settings.

Logitech software can cause problems.

Are you not using VNC?  It was listed above.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 11:41:52 am »

Logitech software can cause problems.

As I noted before, no Logitech software was installed, I did also list no Logitech software in the published list of instslled software.

Are you not using VNC?  It was listed above.

As I said, I did use VNC but I now unloaded it, rebooted the machine, and I will use the keyboard only.

There is a search window at the bottom of the options page.  Search for "Media Keys".  Try different settings.

As soon as I enter 'media keys'<enter> the option box closes, the [OK] button has the default action I presume. Using <tab> to leave the search-box does not invoke the search.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 11:43:52 am »

I use the same keyboard (actually two) on my home computers (dedicated only for JRiver) and I have not had the issue you report. I wonder if there is something in your setup or office that is causing your Keyboard to lose the wireless connection.

For testing, can you plug in a "hardwired" keyboard to eliminate the wireless aspect of this problem?

Also check in Windows Control Panel>Device Manager, find the keyboard and look at the "Power Management" tab under properties. See if there is a check in the box for "Allow this device to wake the computer".

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 11:50:14 am »

There is a search window at the bottom of the options page.  Search for "Media Keys".  Try different settings.

O.k. found it, it's a bit 'not so easy' on the 1360/768 sony TV currently connected to the media center. What should I chose
Automatic(obvious is not o.k. for now), so I will first try disabled, lets see, this will take a while.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:54:11 am »

I use the same keyboard (actually two) on my home computers (dedicated only for JRiver) and I have not had the issue you report. I wonder if there is something in your setup or office that is causing your Keyboard to lose the wireless connection.

For testing, can you plug in a "hardwired" keyboard to eliminate the wireless aspect of this problem?

Also check in Windows Control Panel>Device Manager, find the keyboard and look at the "Power Management" tab under properties. See if there is a check in the box for "Allow this device to wake the computer".

Thanks, for these suggestions, the keyboard works fine, as described above I am always able to use <alt>F4 and F4 <ctrl>4 to restart theater view. Sorry there is no hard-wired keyboard here (never had one for (I think) the pas 10 years). The power settings are for no-sleep, no-schreen-blank and more, this is not the issue.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 12:22:21 pm »

Sorry I can't help. Hopefully one of the computer geeks will come by this thread and have some good advice.

There is a setting at "Tools>Options>Remote Control>Devices & Options" where you choose the type of remote control you have; i.e. "Microsoft MCE", "Remote, keyboard, gamepad of other HID", ... maybe there is something here that will help.
Although I have not had to make any changes here and I have the same keyboard (but I do use my Harmony Remote more for controlling JRiver, than my keyboard). I look at this setting on my system when I get home tonight.
Good luck.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 12:33:47 pm »

O.k. found it, it's a bit 'not so easy' on the 1360/768 sony TV currently connected to the media center. What should I chose
Automatic(obvious is not o.k. for now), so I will first try disabled, lets see, this will take a while.

Locked the keyboard again, <alt>F4, F4 <ctrl>4 still functions, I have changed to the 'app commands' setting.

One thing that got my attention, when Theater View is used it will hide de cursor, when I noted that the keyboard 'locked up' (not actualy <alt>F4 and F4 <ctrl>4 still working) I also noted that the cursor was shown (and I was able to move it, but no left- or right- mouse actions where invoked). I will investigate this next time (when/if it lock's up).

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 12:37:08 pm »

Sorry I can't help. Hopefully one of the computer geeks will come by this thread and have some good advice.

There is a setting at "Tools>Options>Remote Control>Devices & Options" where you choose the type of remote control you have; i.e. "Microsoft MCE", "Remote, keyboard, gamepad of other HID", ... maybe there is something here that will help.
Although I have not had to make any changes here and I have the same keyboard (but I do use my Harmony Remote more for controlling JRiver, than my keyboard). I look at this setting on my system when I get home tonight.
Good luck.

Thanks, later (when all 'Media Keys' options are tried) I will check this out. But the USB-keyboard should not be seen as an 'remote' device by the opperating system or JRiver, but still ...

Regards,
Frans.

P.s. I'm one of those geeks :) but it is more compiler's (using and building) and kernal (development) that is my forte

Arindelle

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 12:52:38 pm »

I'm really fishing here, but you said you had initially installed the setpoint software from Logitech and have now removed it.  I have never hads a dinova but I do own an k810 that's also bluetooth. I had issues with the setpoint software so I uninstalled it. Later I had other issues (based more on my french azerty keyboard settings). I forgot but I had tweaked some settings in the k810, prior to removing logitech's software.

I had to reinstall setpoint set everything back to the default's, and then I again uninstalled and re-paired the keyboard. It wasn't until I re-pared the bluetooth connection with the oS that things finally settled down to normal. To be taken with a grain of salt though, as I am far from an expert .. blue tooth is a bane to my existence, outside of JRiver and my keyboard

PS - alt+F4? That just closes down the program for me. F11 will toggle theater view on and the esacpe key will let you get out of it. Never heard of that f4 combo

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 12:56:09 pm »

I'm really fishing here, but you said you had initially installed the setpoint software from Logitech and have now removed it.  I have never hads a dinova but I do own an k810 that's also bluetooth. I had issues with the setpoint software so I uninstalled it. Later I had other issues (based more on my french azerty keyboard settings). I forgot but I had tweaked some settings in the k810, prior to removing logitech's software.

We did use the SetPoint software on an earlier incarnation of this machine, but the day before yesterday we did rebuild this machine, only using the software mentioned in my first post, still no resolve :(

Regards,
Frans.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 12:58:55 pm »

PS - alt+F4? That just closes down the program for me. F11 will toggle theater view on and the esacpe key will let you get out of it. Never heard of that f4 combo

It (<alt>F4) will close theater-view, and then F4 <cntrl>4 will re-open theater view (all this (locking issue) happens only in theater-view). If you use <esc> then toy need to enter <esc> twice (to go back the windows-forms application). F11 I have never used (to enter theater view) we have Media Center configured to directly start into Theater View :)

Regards,
Frans.

Sorry I have been writing F4 while <ctrl>4 was intended

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 01:30:55 pm »

The general approach to finding the cause is to take each element and try changing it.

Uninstall VNC, for example.

Switch to a wired keyboard.

etc.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 01:33:08 pm »

The general approach to finding the cause is to take each element and try changing it.

Uninstall VNC, for example.

Switch to a wired keyboard.

etc.

As I told twice before I did uninstall (unload) VNC
This is a USB (and thus, for what the computer is concerned a wired keyboard)
It is not a (wireless) connection problem <alt>F4 is still functioning.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 01:36:59 pm »

As I told twice before I did uninstall (unload) VNC
This is a USB (and thus, for what the computer is concerned a wired keyboard)
It is not a (wireless) connection problem <alt>F4 is still functioning.

And VNC loaded or not the problem is there, also windows-remoting used or not still the same problem.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 01:45:22 pm »

p.s. Are we talking abou this https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646275(v=vs.85).aspx when pointing at the 'app commands' selection in 'media keys'?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 01:45:49 pm »

When you say "unloaded", it has a meaning that is different from "uninstalled".  Please confirm that VNC is uninstalled from the machine.

The keyboard you linked to above is not a wired keyboard.  You can buy one for around 20 euros.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 01:50:56 pm »

The keyboard you linked to above is not a wired keyboard.  You can buy one for around 20 euros.

The issue is NOT the keyboard, the <alt>F4 key still functions, mouse still function, and for your pleasure I will go to the city and by a keyboard. We have this problem on multiple machnes (as reported) whith or whitout Logitech keyboard, the issue is still there using remoting (VNC and/or Windows) when no keyboard is involved. How would that work, the application still noting/imitating the keyboard fail if it is not being used?

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 01:54:20 pm »

When you say "unloaded", it has a meaning that is different from "uninstalled".  Please confirm that VNC is uninstalled from the machine.

Unloaded is, I first disabled the server service and then removed it from memory, I configured VNC to not load on windows boot, there is nothing there. If I use Windows remoting I do see the same problem, the problem is not related to VNC.

I will uninstall VNC, and report from that position.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 01:54:38 pm »

You're reporting something that nobody else is, so I'm guessing that something in your setup is different.  I'm sorry if you feel I'm not trusting you to know what is best.  I'm trying to help you find the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 01:56:07 pm »

Unloaded is, I first disabled the server service and then removed it from memory, I configured VNC to not load on windows boot, there is nothing there.
That isn't uninstalling.  Parts of VNC may still be present.  Uninstall from Windows Control Panel > Programs.  Then reboot.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 02:06:10 pm »

That isn't uninstalling.  Parts of VNC may still be present.  Uninstall from Windows Control Panel > Programs.  Then reboot.

Thanks, In #25 I told you I will, and I have done that. Even more I restored an 'system restore point' from before installing VNC (after I did uninstall at the current system-restore-point's level).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 02:07:40 pm »

Let us know what you find.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 02:14:01 pm »

p.s. Are we talking abou this https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646275(v=vs.85).aspx when pointing at the 'app commands' selection in 'media keys'?

Please?

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 02:22:37 pm »

Let us know what you find.

You need to know that it can take between 1 second and several hours (most within 2 hours) for the problem to occur. I was testing the 'media keys' options and found that the first 2 option where not the answer to the problem. Now I was testing the 'app commands' option (and posted a question about that). You need to give me some time so that I can do the test's wanted.

Now I am back on testing the first 'media keys' option, and I will report on that. I am no longer sure about my previous test as I felt pressed into uninstalling VNC. When testing one should be precise and not eager to test it all at once.

Regards,
Frans.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 04:49:58 pm »

This sounds a lot like the issue I experienced with my Nvidia card. Screen would freeze and remote would become unresponsive. Using a keyboard to navigate didn’t work either. Except, like the OP I could use the CTRL-1 shortcut to get into Standard View. My remedy was to go back to driver version 347.88. The OP doesn’t mention specifics but he did say this happened while using Theater View.

I’m guessing there’s a video card involved…

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 03:32:01 am »

Hi Apostos,

Yes there is a video card :) it's a 'Asus Videocard PCI-e GeForce GTX560 Ti DirectCU II 1GB 2xDVI' and maybe it could be the same problem. Will you check is the screen is froze if you can escape it using the <alt>F4 key? (note that the Asus branded card is actualy an NVidia produced card).

Regards,
Frans.

This sounds a lot like the issue I experienced with my Nvidia card. Screen would freeze and remote would become unresponsive. Using a keyboard to navigate didn’t work either. Except, like the OP I could use the CTRL-1 shortcut to get into Standard View. My remedy was to go back to driver version 347.88. The OP doesn’t mention specifics but he did say this happened while using Theater View.

I’m guessing there’s a video card involved…

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 03:47:30 am »

I just checked the NVidia driver (installed just, after a fresh install many updated are pushed to the machine by microsoft) and the current installed driver is 10.18.13.5362. The new driver was yesterday evening installed, by the update process, at 5.13.38 PM

If NVidia is, potentialy, the problem what video-card would JRiver recomend? or list as a 'safe'-bet :)

Arindelle

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 04:28:16 am »

I just checked the NVidia driver (installed just, after a fresh install many updated are pushed to the machine by microsoft) and the current installed driver is 10.18.13.5362. The new driver was yesterday evening installed, by the update process, at 5.13.38 PM

If NVidia is, potentialy, the problem what video-card would JRiver recomend?
Makes more sense that this could be a video driver issue, is it possible to just unplug it and test off the Intel on board HD graphics chip?
and rule out the keyboard

Off-Topic, but because you ask ....

I missed the link in your post and I see your machine you are building and looked at the flkr stream .... very impressive.  It looks like, maybe wrong on this, that this is for high end audio use? 

The box is well, pretty big. You have tons of heatsinks all over the place, and "baffles" that look like you want to reduce any noise while still dissipating heat. It, again I'm guessing, looks like you have a large rack for hard drives, and even amplifiers (maybe even digital preamps?) in there too.  Am I wrong on this?  Or are you in one box trying to also have full madvr video playback to 4K screens, complex home theater setups etc.

I just briefly checked that card and it seems like it is a gaming card, with advanced overclocking capacity. My VERY meager experience in building silent PCs primarily for audio has always been based around heat dissipation and no fans or large ones that turn very slowly. I found that the latest Intel HD on chip graphics sufficient to run MadOctober HQ and madvr on lower settings, so for a primarily audio oriented machine, I've tried to avoid separate GPUs as they use a lot of power, tend to be the noisiest element in the system, and they trow off (usually) a lot of heat. (They also tend to require larger boxes and full atx boards, but that's beside the point)

It is obvious that your expertise, Franz, is light years ahead of mine .. so just curious why use a gaming GPU like this to begin with for this build shown on your website?

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 04:45:58 am »

Hi Arindelle,

You are right, this is my current bussiness (to start up a ne High-End audio brand). But the system I have here for testing is incredible symple, one PC (i7 3.4Ghz with 8G memory), Asus(NVidia) video card, one Teac UD 503 DAC and the amplifier. All controlled using the Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard.

The video card was selected to be silent (it is when not stressed) and at the same time capable of running games, we did not deside on a game controller. P.s. the amplifier weights in at about 45Kg (more than 90 pounds) and will resell at about 50.000 Euro's.

If you like the pictures, the compleate story (last 6 years) kan be seen here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132922681@N02/favorites

Regards,
Frans.

Makes more sense that this could be a video driver issue, is it possible to just unplug it and test off the Intel on board HD graphics chip?

I missed the link in your post and I see your machine you are building and looked at the flkr stream .... very impressive.  It looks like, maybe wrong on this, that this is for high end audio use? 

The box is well, pretty big. You have tons of heatsinks all over the place, and "baffles" that look like you want to reduce any noise while still dissipating heat. It, again I'm guessing, looks like you have a large rack for hard drives, and even amplifiers (maybe even digital preamps?) in there too.  Am I wrong on this?  Or are you in one box trying to also have full madvr video playback to 4K screens, complex home theater setups etc.

I just briefly checked that card and it seems like it is a gaming card, with advanced overclocking capacity. My VERY meager experience in building silent PCs primarily for audio has always been based around heat dissipation and no fans or large ones that turn very slowly. I found that the latest Intel HD on chip graphics sufficient to run MadOctober HQ and madvr on lower settings, so for a primarily audio oriented machine, I've tried to avoid separate GPUs as they use a lot of power, tend to be the noisiest element in the system, and they trow off (usually) a lot of heat. (They also tend to require larger boxes and full atx boards, but that's beside the point)

It is obvious that your expertise, Franz, is light years ahead of mine .. so just curious why use a gaming GPU like this to begin with for this build shown on your website?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 05:54:32 am »

If NVidia is, potentialy, the problem what video-card would JRiver recomend?
It isn't Nvidia (if that is what this problem is).  It is the Nvidia driver.  An older driver works for some.

You can read more in the posts that start here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.msg704783#msg704783

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 06:02:11 am »

Thanks, In #25 I told you I will, and I have done that. Even more I restored an 'system restore point' from before installing VNC (after I did uninstall at the current system-restore-point's level).

Absolutely no VNC now, keyboard messages stopped being processed, the <alt>F4 key still functions (this is a system key, there may (most probably) be other system keys stil functioning (I will test that later)) other keys are non operative. The selected 'Media keys' option is 'Automatic', next(now) I will switch to 'Media Keys' option 'Disabled'.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 06:05:38 am »

Please?

Please, is it posible to answer this question?

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 06:08:37 am »

P.s. the 'Asus P8P67 Deluxe' has no video connector.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 08:54:09 am »

Hi Apostos,

Yes there is a video card :) it's a 'Asus Videocard PCI-e GeForce GTX560 Ti DirectCU II 1GB 2xDVI' and maybe it could be the same problem. Will you check is the screen is froze if you can escape it using the <alt>F4 key? (note that the Asus branded card is actualy an NVidia produced card).

Regards,
Frans.

There seems to be some confusion as to which key combination is being used. I’m referring to the CTRL-1 keyboard shortcut that gets you back into Standard View from Theater View.

The symptoms exhibited by my HTPC were…

Screen would freeze while playing audio. Program interface was unresponsive to remote or keyboard navigation keys. Mouse cursor would display but was likewise unable to interact with the program. More commonly… the screen would freeze while navigating the program interface (typically scrolling).

I found that the CTRL-1/CTRL-4 keyboard shortcuts still allowed me to return to Standard View.

My solution (and others, I believe) was to roll the Nvidia driver back to a previous version (for me ver. 347.88). I’ve had no such issues since then.

I should also mention that I’m using the current stable version of MC, 21.0.24. Video card is a GTX 650 Ti. and until there’s a fix I’ll resist the video driver updates from Microsoft & Nvidia.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 09:18:26 am »

Hi Apostos,

Thanks for that input, I will first test all the 'Media Keys' options as request (that will take some time). If all tests (options) are tried I will rollback the video driver as suggested http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83080/en-us

But this gives a huge problem, I now need to inform my future customers not to use the update service, and if (the ever) the problem is fixed then what, when will it resurface, or can I trust NVidea. Maybe it is better to switch to a video card supplier that never exhibited this problem? Who is that supplier (earlier I did ask what would be wise to choose, but no answer yet :))

The other question to be addressed is, NVidea does not list the driver as Windows 10 specific.

About the key stroke used, I was using <alt>F4 the escape the current windows focused process (this is the standard key to do that) but I will try the <cntrl>1 key next time, and then see if this works equally well. Anyway <alt>F4 was just my 'natural' response to the situation and it stuck :)

Regards,
Frans.

There seems to be some confusion as to which key combination is being used. I’m referring to the CTRL-1 keyboard shortcut that gets you back into Standard View from Theater View.

The symptoms exhibited by my HTPC were…

Screen would freeze while playing audio. Program interface was unresponsive to remote or keyboard navigation keys. Mouse cursor would display but was likewise unable to interact with the program. More commonly… the screen would freeze while navigating the program interface (typically scrolling).

I found that the CTRL-1/CTRL-4 keyboard shortcuts still allowed me to return to Standard View.

My solution (and others, I believe) was to roll the Nvidia driver back to a previous version (for me ver. 347.88). I’ve had no such issues since then.

I should also mention that I’m using the current stable version of MC, 21.0.24. Video card is a GTX 650 Ti. and until there’s a fix I’ll resist the video driver updates from Microsoft & Nvidia.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 09:28:02 am »

Absolutely no VNC now, keyboard messages stopped being processed, the <alt>F4 key still functions (this is a system key, there may (most probably) be other system keys stil functioning (I will test that later)) other keys are non operative. The selected 'Media keys' option is 'Automatic', next(now) I will switch to 'Media Keys' option 'Disabled'.

Again a partial lockup of the keyboard, this time I used <ctrl>1 to go back (not <alt>F4) to the windows forms mode and that functioned. For the next test I will set 'Media Keys' to 'App Commands', lets see what happens. This is really time consuming, I hope that someone has some use for this information :)

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 09:47:04 am »

It isn't Nvidia (if that is what this problem is).  It is the Nvidia driver.  An older driver works for some.

You can read more in the posts that start here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.msg704783#msg704783

o.k. I get that, first I will finish all 'media keys' testing as requested, if that is done I will consider my next action (most probably replace the video card, but what?)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 09:50:43 am »

Hi Apostos,

Thanks for that input, I will first test all the 'Media Keys' options as request (that will take some time). If all tests (options) are tried I will rollback the video driver as suggested http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83080/en-us

The other question to be addressed is, NVidea does not list the driver as Windows 10 specific.

This is the latest NVidia driver specifically for Win10 for the GTX560Ti  http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/98556
 361.91 - WHQL
Release Date Mon Feb 15, 2016
Operating System Windows 10 64-bit
Language English (US)
File Size 321.87 MB

Just released on Feb 15th.

blgentry

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 09:51:19 am »

My opinion is that you are wasting your time with the Media Keys testing.  I would jump straight to testing the video card drivers, or an alternative video card first.  Just my opinion.

Brian.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2016, 11:23:40 am »

o.k. I get that, first I will finish all 'media keys' testing as requested, if that is done I will consider my next action (most probably replace the video card, but what?)

Again, as requested, 'Media keys' set to 'App commands' failed, now I changed to 'Hot Keys'.
Question why is there noting to find about this option?

Regards,
Frans.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2016, 11:25:18 am »

My opinion is that you are wasting your time with the Media Keys testing.  I would jump straight to testing the video card drivers, or an alternative video card first.  Just my opinion.

Brian.

Hi blgentry,

You are maybe right, but it was asked and I agreed, and secondly going that far doing this test I'm just finishing it :)

Regards,
Frans.

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2016, 11:26:35 am »

This is the latest NVidia driver specifically for Win10 for the GTX560Ti  http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/98556
 361.91 - WHQL
Release Date Mon Feb 15, 2016
Operating System Windows 10 64-bit
Language English (US)
File Size 321.87 MB

Just released on Feb 15th.

Hi CountryBumkin,

Thanks for that :)

Regards,
Frans
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up