INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hybrid sacd  (Read 2110 times)

davidebond

hybrid sacd
« on: February 17, 2016, 09:34:01 am »

Good day. I purchased an inLine external dac with dsd support. I installed JRiver MediaCenter and I played a dsd file which I downloaded earlier. Then, I tried to play and Hibryd Sacd. Nothing to do. The dac plays it as a normal cd (pcm, 16bits at 44100 khz). Is there a way to play an Hibryd Sacd as sacd? Thanks.

Best,

davide

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: hybrid sacd
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:28:07 am »

What are you playing it on?  Very, very few PC disc drives will play the DSD layer of a hybrid disc.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

davidebond

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 04:59:36 am »

First of all, thanks for your reply. I am using a Lenovo G780, with 16gb of Ram and a Samsung SSD 850 Evo. The OS is Windows 7. I tried the upgrade to Windows 10, but is has at the moments many issues to solve. The sacd are of classical music. I listen only to it.

Thanks and best,

davide

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:19:45 am »

As far as I know, there aren't any computer drives that can read SACDs; only dedicated SACD players and very early versions of the Sony PS3.  The only way to "rip" SACDs is with a PS3 with special software.  If you have a good number of SACDs, it might be worth tracking down one of these "special" PS3s, installing the software, etc.  From what I've read, it's quite a bit of work to get it set up though.  Once you've ripped the SACDs,  you won't need a drive to read them; you can just import the ripped files directly into MC and play them any time you want to.

Brian.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:25:08 am »

As far as I know, there aren't any computer drives that can read SACDs; only dedicated SACD players and very early versions of the Sony PS3.  The only way to "rip" SACDs is with a PS3 with special software.  If you have a good number of SACDs, it might be worth tracking down one of these "special" PS3s, installing the software, etc.  From what I've read, it's quite a bit of work to get it set up though.  Once you've ripped the SACDs,  you won't need a drive to read them; you can just import the ripped files directly into MC and play them any time you want to.
Correct except that it is not too difficult to set up for ripping from the PS3.  Takes about 10minutes.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up