INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Access to Library Server & "Sync Library" Tool: Problems  (Read 4066 times)

Antoine.

• World Citizen
Remote Access to Library Server & "Sync Library" Tool: Problems
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:09:52 am »

Hello,

I've been accumulating questions lately about these two aspects of using MC21 on a local network. I have 2 computers (Windows 10 Pro, MC21) & 1 smartphone (Android 6, JRemote). The computers are each equipped with enough embedded storage for all my library files. One of the computer is supposed to be the server (HTPC) and the other the client (UserPC).

What I have been doing until now : I used MC21 on UserPC and loaded HTPC's library. I've been replicating data between the two of them for backup purposes via outside software (Goodsync) without importing these replicated files to a MC21 library. I'm not completely satisfied with this solution because of the following problems with which you may be able to help:
  • 1. The lack of availability of the RMCF/F6 Tool from a client.
  • 2. The inability to edit covers from a client: removing a cover works, adding a new one does not propagate to the library server.
  • 3. Playlist modifications made from a client lead to a maelstrom of duplicate playlists.
  • 4. Cannot play files on an external player via the "Send to External Player" function. Right now, when I'm opening a file with MPC-HC from a client, I'm getting the message : "File Not Found".
  • 5. Probably not a MC21-related problem, but very annoying: MC21 Server does not start on HTPC unless I'm logged in Windows 10. Is there a way to circumvent this (without removing the Windows passoword) so that the server starts automatically when the computer is turned on, without further intervention?

What I'd like to have is this scenario: 2 computers running 2 libraries and set of files synchronized in real time or at least automatically. A change to one computer's library or files would be propagated to the other computer's library & files. But I'm not understanding very well how the "Sync Library" Tool works. Here are me questions:
  • 6. When I'm Syncing files from HTPC to UserPC, are the files automatically imported to the client's library?
  • 7. What happens when I'm editing tags on UserPC's MC21? Are they propagated to HTPC's MC21 library (and possibly to the file itself)? In other words does it sync libraries as well? Can this tool be used to have 2 identical libraries (tags, playlists and content) that can be accessed to and modified from whichever location is best?
  • 8. How can I customize the locations of the files in the Sync Too, esp. when it comes to video? Is it really necessary to be able to reduce the location path of all video files to one single formula ? Or is there a way to customize them (by media sub types, etc.)? If so, I've missed it.
  • 9. Does the Sync Tool operate automatically? If not, can it be set to do so? So far, I'm under the impression that I have to launch it manually every time.
  • 10. Files Sync & Library Sync: is there a way to have both at the same times, under one roof?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Sincerely,

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote Access to Library Server & "Sync Library" Tool: Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:54:58 pm »

there have been a lot of posts on this, but I'm not sure what you mean by backing uup replicated files??

You are loading on both machines 1 library (HTPC) - you are sharing one set of media files. You load a virtual copy of this library when using the client (UserPC)  - so until I get what you are doing I'm not sure I'd be helpful responding, point by point.

For the people that rip using JRiver, I can see having an issue with scenario 1 as it can't be run as an external program. But otherwise that I can see, the only real issue is for people that just don't want to have their "server" machine turned on (or "wake-one-LANable"). Importing, Audio Analysis, RMCF, CoverArt Manipulation, View Creation/modifcation and every now and again setting up new custom database fields. There are work arounds for importing and audio analysis by configuring the parameters of auto-import. So really its just rcmf and cover art ... these can be easily done using a remote desktop app (I always recommend TeamViewer -- for me at least its not only free but very fast and easy to set up).

I haven't used sync library in awhile I admit, but I remember there are a lot of issues if you are tagging in both libraries; you really should have at least one library that acts as a master. And if you are actually using only one "master", what is the point as you can just as easily restore one library to the other. This doesn't happen in real time, regardless

For your scenario 1, there are issues though (for me at least), where the auto sync doesn't sync when you want to, as it is not in real time. I have had problems with tagging something like a multiple box set that could take awhile and having my work wiped out. On long taggin session I turn that off. You can always force a manual sync to make real time changes. I admit this is a drag sometimes, but they chose (I believe) to use this at a very low priority to not cut into the speed, bandwidth etc.

So maybe you could elaborate on what you mean by replicated files? Oh and by the way, here's a recent post talking about RMCF that might interest you and agree with you about RMCF limitations  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103223.msg716938#msg716938

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »

Thank you for your answer Arindelle.

Let's forget about Scenario #2  and the matter of replicated files and focus on Scenario #1.

[By the way, I don't understand the implementation of such distractions like the Sync tool, given that there is absolutely no documentation explaining what this tool does and that it does not help to synchronize libraries...]

Concerning the remote use of RMCF and cover editing, I know that there are workarounds (I'm using MS Remote Desktop). But the point of a software like MC is to manage a media library. The fact that it's not capable to do that is not really satisfactory. At the very least the remote editing of covers should work. Are there any efforts to implement these features?

Lately, I've started to customize Library Views and Theater Views. And again, things got bad. Even worse than with the playlists!
Can anybody explain how they work? Are they attached to the library on the server? Because whenever I'm doing modifications (on UserPC's MC21, connected to HTPC's library), creating news library views, categories or Theater Views, half of what I'm doing is lost when l disconnect and subsequently reconnect to the server! I'm even taking the precautions of  1) having one single client at the time of the modifications and 2) manually sync the changes to the library. These problems are extremely frustrating!

Is there something I missed about the Library views and the Theater Views?

Sincerely,

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 05:23:57 am »

Thank you for your answer Arindelle.

Let's forget about Scenario #2  and the matter of replicated files and focus on Scenario #1.

[By the way, I don't understand the implementation of such distractions like the Sync tool, given that there is absolutely no documentation explaining what this tool does and that it does not help to synchronize libraries...]

Concerning the remote use of RMCF and cover editing, I know that there are workarounds (I'm using MS Remote Desktop). But the point of a software like MC is to manage a media library. The fact that it's not capable to do that is not really satisfactory. At the very least the remote editing of covers should work. Are there any efforts to implement these features?
the Sync Tool? Did I miss something?

I only know of two syncing ops -- one that forces changes made form clients to the PC server's library. The other that syncs separate libraries .. the former I use daily; the later I use maybe once a year taking a portable install on vacation ... I don't work for JRiver, so I'm not commenting on the documentation .. personally I prefer resources going into development than instructions -- it would be a full time job.  

The RMCF issues are debatable, see link, but there are users that want to prevent family members messing with their libraries from clients; and there are others that want total control from clients. People that freak out because JRiver just changed 3000 tracks because they messed up (and didn't do their backups) and want more protection, and experienced users that are upset that they now have to manually select files (well at least CTRL+A) and think that its up to them to be disciplined and not the program's business to protect their stuff. The devs have to choose I suppose - who do you make happy?

Short of that it would be a major change to the architecture I think ... but again I don't work for JRiver. Using Team Viewer,  it doesn't bother me frankly,  its fast and I can make it look just as good on my client monitor ... I just got used to it.

Lately, I've started to customize Library Views and Theater Views. And again, things got bad. Even worse than with the playlists!
Can anybody explain how they work? Are they attached to the library on the server? Because whenever I'm doing modifications (on UserPC's MC21, connected to HTPC's library), creating news library views, categories or Theater Views, half of what I'm doing is lost when l disconnect and subsequently reconnect to the server! I'm even taking the precautions of  1) having one single client at the time of the modifications and 2) manually sync the changes to the library. These problems are extremely frustrating!

Is there something I missed about the Library views and the Theater Views?

I think you did ... Views are library based ... you have to modify all views , in Standard, Theater, and Remote modes, from the server machine, not from the client. You can modify playlists though. Views modified on a client will work until you reload the library .. they will not be written to the "server", and cannot be synced like metadata.

Frankly I think this make sense.

What makes much less sense, that I'd been waiting to see to be implemented for quite some time, is not having to basically make repetitive views for each mode. Having similar views having to do this three times is a real drag and although you can import standard views to the other "modes", I hope they concentrate on finding a better solution for that. I tweak a view and forget to modify it for JRemote sort of blows  ;D

You should be able to modify playlists from clients though?! not sure about what you mean there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up