INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Freezes After Running a Few Hours  (Read 4124 times)

dswaggs

• Recent member
JRiver Freezes After Running a Few Hours
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:29:52 pm »

Hi, I'm new to JRiver so please excuse me if I'm not posting this in the correct section.

I am running version 21 on 3 of my PC's at this time. Just purchased it about 2 months ago so that should be close to the latest version.

It runs fine on all 3 PC's except for the XP machine where it will run fine for a few hours or even all day (not sure exactly how many hours) and then when I return a day or two later to pick up where I left off, I'll get an image but the software doesn't respond to key strokes from the keyboard. Sometimes if I beat on it for a few minutes it'll start to work or it will go back one or two screens but then continue to not work. For the most part, I have to hit escape, exit theater view, close and restart the program then it works fine. Any ideas on this? I notice on the download page that XP isn't listed but aside from freezing up it seems to work ok.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Duane

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Freezes After Running a Few Hours
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:31:55 pm »

Just purchased it about 2 months ago so that should be close to the latest version.

Well, first off, before we spend any time troubleshooting it: Try the latest version.

JRiver releases new versions here on the forum every 1-2 weeks (and beta builds 3-4 times per week, usually), so if you haven't updated in two months, then you're probably 6-10 public versions behind (possibly more depending on which version you downloaded originally). Updating isn't hard. You can just download the installer and "install over top" of the existing one (or use the updater built into MC under the Help Menu, set to Latest). It preserves all settings.

Official XP support was discontinued with MC21. They are not making any changes intentionally to break compatibility with it, or anything, and it is still expected to "mostly, if not entirely, work", but they aren't testing for it internally at all. Also, some of the video playback components (third-party ones, and LAV itself) are moving to using Windows 7 and newer APIs. You may have trouble with Red October HQ mode due to these changes, though I don't know if anyone is sure of the current status.

But, before we go down that road at all, try the latest build. I know Hendrik has been chasing some nvidia-related issues in Theater View, and who knows what else has changed in the interim. If that doesn't help, review the entire Troubleshooting Guide I linked to above as well.  The most common cause of dead-locks in Theater View are GPU drivers or general problems in the Direct3D subsystem in Windows.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:08:09 pm »

Actually, I was going to report this... I had several cases of MC21 freezing (always running latest beta). Never had this with previous versions of MC.
My media is on a shared network drive (local network) mapped to MC21 PC running Windows 7 64.
If I play a long playlist and then pause it for long time (the PC goes to suspend for the night, for example), then if I try to resume playing, MC freezes.
I don't know if its consistent and reproducible but, again, it never happened with MC20 and earlier.
I'll experiment some and report back.

max

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 12:11:13 pm »

Please attach an MC log file after a hang and describe what was occurring prior to the hang.  We did make some changes to our threading system which could lead to new "hang" conditions.  The reason for the change is that the way it was working previously, there were some hacky workarounds for hang problems that could lead to weird and difficult to debug crashes.  There could even be data loss in these cases.  We decided it would be much better to remove the workarounds and fix the hang conditions as they pop-up.  Hopefully the logs will point to the problem.
Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:20:24 pm »

It's reproducible... Will post the log once I am back from work...

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:34:47 pm »

John,
Attaching the log. It's quite long - MC was up for 2 days and I did some importing, tagging and retagging.
I truncated it (deleted from the beginning to the last title played)

Here's what I did:

-- Started playback of a long playlist
-- After 2-3 hours, paused the playback
-- Left MC running
-- Put the PC into suspend mode and went to sleep myself
-- In the morning, woke up the PC
-- Tried to resume the playback
-- MC froze dead

Thanks!
Max

fdewit

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 03:24:52 am »

Hi Duane,

May I ask, are you using Media Center in Theater mode when it freezez, and when frozen, in Theater mode, does the <alt>F4 key still work (to go back to Windows forms mode).

Best Regards,
Frans.

Hi, I'm new to JRiver so please excuse me if I'm not posting this in the correct section.

I am running version 21 on 3 of my PC's at this time. Just purchased it about 2 months ago so that should be close to the latest version.

It runs fine on all 3 PC's except for the XP machine where it will run fine for a few hours or even all day (not sure exactly how many hours) and then when I return a day or two later to pick up where I left off, I'll get an image but the software doesn't respond to key strokes from the keyboard. Sometimes if I beat on it for a few minutes it'll start to work or it will go back one or two screens but then continue to not work. For the most part, I have to hit escape, exit theater view, close and restart the program then it works fine. Any ideas on this? I notice on the download page that XP isn't listed but aside from freezing up it seems to work ok.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Duane

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 08:06:17 am »

-- Put the PC into suspend mode ...
Do you use Sleep or Hibernate for suspending the PC?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

dswaggs

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 09:08:46 am »

Sorry, I've been away for a while. Yes, I use it in theater mode. I went into help and set logging and the darn thing has been running for 2 weeks without locking up so I can't test the F4 key at this time. I'll update this if it happens again.

Thanks,
Duane
Pages: [1]   Go Up