INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [21.0.48] Problem with madVR fullscreen exclusive mode  (Read 5180 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
[21.0.48] Problem with madVR fullscreen exclusive mode
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:35:16 am »

I understand that this may or may not be a JRiver problem, but I'm having issues. I have two displays connected to my HTPC: one Dell P2214 IPS monitor, and one Panasonic TC-P55VT60 plasma television, the latter of which being connected indirectly via my Marantz SR5008 A/V receiver. I have MC set up to always send fullscreen views (theatre view, display view) to the TV. I also have madVR set up to go straight to fullscreen exclusive mode upon playback of video media.

Additionally, I have RealVNC Server set up on the HTPC, and have changed its DisplayDevice parameter so that RealVNC Viewer on my laptop can only interact with the Dell monitor.

My understanding of fullscreen exclusive mode is that it's supposed to disallow the use of mouse input and whatnot over the video during playback; otherwise the screen will flash and revert to windowed mode. Which is fine. Except that whenever I remote in to the HTPC--the Dell monitor--and click the screen or alt+tab with video playing on the TV, the latter blanks out for a second before resuming. This is not only very annoying from a playback perspective, but also from a working one, since resumption puts focus back on MC, making it virtually impossible to work on anything else during playback without using ctrl+1. This doesn't make sense to me. Why is fullscreen exclusive mode acting like it has prominence over both monitors?

RD James

Re: [21.0.48] Problem with madVR fullscreen exclusive mode
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:18:22 am »

I think exclusive mode takes over all your monitors not only the one that video is playing on.
Hit CTRL+J to view the stats when a video is playing and you'll probably see that it leaves exclusive mode when you switch to your other display.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:15:38 am »

Fullscreen Exclusive mode really isn't designed to operate side-by-side with anything else. It greatly depends on the graphics driver and the OS as well how it behaves, but chances are that it will not work properly on one screen while other screens do other stuff.
If you need such kind of setup, you should just use normal fullscreen mode, not exclusive.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Goatshade

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:06:43 pm »

Hmm, okay.

Subsequent to the OP, I did turn off fullscreen exclusive mode and compensated by setting chroma and image upscaling to Lanczos 4, and turned on ordered dithering (as opposed to error diffusion). No dropped frames and no presentation glitches (except for when playback starts, or any kind of seeking or skipping in done, which I assume is normal).

Are there any potential unforeseen consequences resulting from the above?

Further, before I settled on that configuration, I found that retaining fullscreen exclusive mode while enabling Direct3D11 does seem to prevent further trouble with the issue outlined in the OP, though I'm not certain right now of what effects it has on quality and performance. Same question: any unforeseen consequences?

kalston

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 01:12:06 pm »

If you don't have an AMD gpu, have you tried windowed overlay mode?

I find it superior to all other modes on NVIDIA hardware (although you can't take screenshots of the video then). On the Intel gpus I'm not sure how well it would work though.

Goatshade

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 03:21:56 am »

No, I haven't tried that, though I have an AMD APU--an A10-7850K Kaveri (Radeon R7), to be precise. This build was intended as a sort of HTPC downgrade from the larger, less modest, and more power-hungry gaming rig I used to have, and it holds up surprisingly well using Red October HQ/madVR. Done correctly, one can set image upscaling to Jinc with it, though my understanding now is that Jinc, while high in quality, is too resource-intensive for too small a return, and that Lanczos (4) is the better alternative. Is that the truth?
Pages: [1]   Go Up