INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: buffering hangs  (Read 2228 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
buffering hangs
« on: February 07, 2003, 05:15:01 am »

I use MJ (8.0.393) with my stereo system, but it gets the music from another computer via MJ's media server and a wireless NIC.  A couple of questions:

(1)  Buffering will sometimes hang, and playback stops.  It will sometime start again, but it also sometimes stops all together.  Is there a setting somewhere which can improve buffering's performance  ?

(2)  A question of curiousity ... does a higher quality MP3 (i.e., larger filesize) make streaming (and buffering) less efficient  ?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Harry_The_Hipster

Re: buffering hangs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 06:17:15 am »

1)  Buffering will sometimes hang, and playback stops.  It will sometime start again, but it also sometimes stops all together.  Is there a setting somewhere which can improve buffering's performance  

Tools>Options>Settings, move slider as far to the left as you can ("more skip resistant").

2)  A question of curiousity ... does a higher quality MP3 (i.e., larger filesize) make streaming (and buffering) less efficient  

Yes, at least if streaming to a client outside the LAN (don't know about LAN performance because I don't run one). I find anything over 128-160 kbps quite dicey. WAV and APE are almost impossible. But that's on a shared T-1 with a fair amount of local traffic. May be less of an issue on a T-3 or an LAN.

HTH

shAf

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 05:54:56 am »

Tools>Options>Settings, move slider as far to the left as you can ("more skip resistant").

Can you be a bit more explicid.  The only slider I found ('cept the obvious) was for "options=>playback", but it was for the fade-to-next duration(?)

Or ... maybe I should be more explicid ... i.e., the buffer doesn't necessarily hang between songs, but it often hangs in the middle.

tia  :o)

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 06:06:32 am »

Sorry - skipped a step.

Tools (drop-down menu)>Options>Playback (left-hand field). Once the Playback view is open on the right, then click on Settings, which in MC is towards the bottom, to the right of Output-Mode. That will open a window where you'll find the slider. Move it way over to the left (more skip resistant).

I'm in Media Center now but believe it is about the same in MJ.

HTH

Listening to: 'KLON' on Media Center 9.0

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 07:49:14 am »

May be less of an issue on a T-3 or an LAN

Do many people have a T-3 in US?

Here we have it ,but must be around  +$200- 250  a month

shAf

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 08:18:48 am »

... Output-Mode. That will open a window where you'll find the slider. Move it way over to the left (more skip resistant).

Found it ! approximately at 2/3, and moved it left to 1/3 ... thanx.

I did not however find a description of this in the helpfile.  Does anyone know what I just sacrificed?  (Output=>settings"more skip resistant" versus "more responsive") ?

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 11:21:02 am »

Does anyone know what I just sacrificed?

Not much - just speed of responsiveness on cross-fade. There's a brief explanation in MC 9.0.109).

HTH

Listening to: 'Fine And Dandy' from 'George Wallington Trio' by 'George Wallington' on Media Center 9.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up