INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show disk folder structure under 'Video' in Theater View  (Read 3661 times)

matdraper

• Recent member
Show disk folder structure under 'Video' in Theater View
« on: March 12, 2016, 11:16:59 am »

Hi, I currently use JRiver for audio, and I'm planning to use in on my tv-watching media PC too... (I currently use Windows Media Center).

I have a large folder of videos, organised in folders - I'd like to see that folder structure in Theater View in the Video area. Is that possible? Currently the Video area shows the entire contents of the directory hierarchy in a flat view, which makes it hard to navigate.

Many thanks
-Mat

matdraper

• Recent member
Re: Show disk folder structure under 'Video' in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:44:23 am »

*Bump* - any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks
-Mat

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:53 am »

Mat, what kind of video files do you have (movie, TV shows, home videos, etc.)?

The typical User will have all his Movies showing in a flat view (you can have multiple views such as sorted by Name, Genre, Date, Subject matter, etc.)  most Users would want to just scroll a sorted listing to find their Movie and play it, not have to dig through various folder-directory levels to find something.

TV Shows are a separate category, usually setup to display by Series, then sorted by Season and Episode.

Home Movies are another separate view which can be displayed/sorted by Event, Date, Occasion, Participant, etc., - whatever category you want.

However, having multiple sub-menus by "folder structure" (makes me think of a "Windows Explorer" tree type view) is not usual. Is that what you meant by "folder structure"?
Can you explain more about your media and what you want to do?

matdraper

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:38:41 am »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have a root folder, with kids films, grownups' films, documentaries. Under kids movies there's a folder for animated movies, action movies etc. Similarly the other folders are broken down roughly by category. This makes it very easy to find what you're  looking for. It would be nice to be able to see those folders within the movie browser - but maybe that's not possible? (I guess I'm used to this from using Windows Media Center)

Cheers
-Mat

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:46:49 am »

It's possible

Go into options>theatre view.  The bottom portion of the screen has a view setup, you can do a lot of customizing of what you see

The button "set rules for file display..." Will be key here, as you can set folder rules rather than just displaying an actual disk structure

It's only easy your way because you're used to the windows ecosystem, MC can make things much better.  But I get it, when you have a good on disc structure it's hard to move away

Leverage tags...let's say kids movies get [keyword] kids (for example) then you set a view that set rules...keywords=kids then view by genre-name

It may (or may not) sound confusing but you really can get it better and easier than a structure view

RD James

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:59:02 am »

Add a new library item to your theater view setup and set it up as a file path view pointing to the root directory.

matdraper

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »

Many thanks for the replies, I will look into them and work out a solution.
Kind regards
-Mat
Pages: [1]   Go Up