INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Record menu in Theater View  (Read 2468 times)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
New Record menu in Theater View
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:43:34 pm »

Just a quick one re the new recording settings menu popup -

There are 2 "Cancel" options. 1 CONTINUES and sets the recording, the other cancels the action.

Could the first one possibly be renamed "Continue"? It may come across as confusing to some that there's a Cancel option to continue (I had to read it 2 or 3 times).

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: New Record menu in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:13:53 pm »

I had given the text on those buttons a lot of thoughts because of the potential for confusion.

Which one are you referring to? 

When you select a program and choose "Record" (i.e. record the program), you get a settings dialog (unless you choose not to be bothered by it in general settings).  On this dialog, there are three buttons that are not settings themselves- "Record (save settings to this recording only)", "Record (save to defaults)", and "Cancel (recording will not be scheduled)".  Here the Cancel button is to cancel the entire recording action.

When you select a program and choose "Subscribe" (to set up subscription), you get three buttons that are not subscription settings themselves - "Cancel (recording will not be scheduled)", "Subscribe (and save settings as defaults)", and "Subscribe (only apply to this subscription)".  I thought these are clear enough.  There is also a "Edit General Recording Settings".  If you choose that one, you will get another pop up which is nearly identical to the one you get when you do "Record" (instead of Subscribe), with the exception that the "Cancel" button is renamed "Continue (abandon settings change)".  This is to let you cancel the settings editing action, but will let you continue setting up subscription.  Also there are no "Record" buttons.  The "Record" buttons are renamed "Apply (...)" to indicate that you are just applying settings, and you will have more actions to take to complete subscription setup.

When you select a program and choose "Record by time", you get a dialog for record by time settings.  Besides the settings for Record-by-time, you also get "Edit Settings" button, which brings up the settings pop up, just like in Subscription; and "Record" button which proceeds to finish setting up recording; and "Cancel (...)" which cancels recording setup.

Which one of these is confusion?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 05:31:58 pm »

Maybe you refer to pop up for each individual setting?  For example, if you try changing "Priority", you get a pop up like this:

High
Medium High
Normal
Medium Low
Low
OK
Cancel

Is this Cancel that you refer to?  I see this can be a source of confusion.  I can change all of these OK/Cancel pairs to Apply/Continue (abandon current change).

In case of Priority editing, the OK/Cancel buttons are actually redundant and should be eliminated.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:57:29 pm »

I didn't have any trouble working out what all the buttons were and did.

But if you were going to make a change to the OK/Cancel pairs, perhaps change them to "Apply/Skip (abandon current change)".

"Skip" would be more understandable to me than "Continue", which I would expect to mean that the change has been saved, and move on to the next setting. "Skip" tends to mean "don't make or keep and changes here, and move on to the next setting."
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:51:09 am »

Maybe the terms should be "Exit (save settings)", "Cancel (exit without saving)", and the "Continue" button.
I don't know - whatever you use there will always be some that will be confused about the terminology. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:56:28 am »

I like "Skip".  Another word that can be considered is "Return (abandon current change)", which conveys the idea of returning to the previous dialog.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 06:49:10 pm »

To me "Return" is synonymous with "Enter", which would mean save the changes made rather than Skip that section.

"Exit" is a bit wishy washy for me. It is often used where you want to back out of something, but expect to get a "Do you want to save" message if something has changed but hasn't been saved yet.

Maybe the definitions of some of the words would help decide. For example from Google;

Skip
noun: skip; plural noun: skips

Computing
an act of passing over part of a sequence of data or instructions

Return
Almost all computer keyboards have a key marked Return or Enter; the two names are synonymous.

And so on.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up