INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three MC22 Requested Features  (Read 4903 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Three MC22 Requested Features
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »

These three features are important, yet they have never received any comment from devs.  This despite the fact that they have received support from other customers, in fact, over time, the first one has been requested by 15-20 people.

The level of functionality delivered by these changes - per developer hour - is far higher than most of the flashy features being discussed.

I gather that they are low priority because they would not be able to be marketed to new customers.  So, I thought that they would make good incentives for existing customers to upgrade to MC22.  They are:

1) Sidecar files for audio, especially SACD .ISO files and .CUE files.

When a user enters additional tag information for audio files, they can write all the tag data to FLAC, APE and MP3 files.  But .CUE files and SACD .ISO files cannot be written to.  While it is true that the Library is regularly backed up, nevertheless there are situations where it is helpful to re-import some files.  Without sidecar audio files, the tag data has to be retyped by hand any time those files are reimported.   This feature has been requested many times by many users.

2) Failure logging for television

When a scheduled program fails to record, every other DVR, whether hardware or software, logs the event, including a reason for failure (no signal, insufficient disk space, no available tuner, etc.).  One free software TV recording program even includes a small notification program that sits in the tray of any Windows PC and communicates by network to the TV recording software, indicating red for recording, and tooltips with what is recording, and access to logs, etc.

In contrast, MC21 does not even log the reason for failure.

3) Failure logging for importing

In MC21, when new files are imported, an informative dialog is made available, but once dismissed, the information is lost forever.  It would be helpful to simply write the exact same text to a permanent log file.  Even better would be to give reasons for files failing to import.

Both logs files should be entirely separate from debugging logs, because they are part of normal operation.

Thanks for your time and attention to these requests.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Three MC22 Requested Features
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:38:28 pm »

1) Sidecar files for audio, especially SACD .ISO files and .CUE files all media types (for file types which don't fully support embedded tags).

T,FTFY.

Otherwise, yeah. Count me in on all three.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:26:17 am »

With Glynor's revision, ditto.  Broader sidecar support would make life a lot easier for all kinds of files.  I'm supportive of all three.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:25:52 am »

1) Sidecar files for all media types (for file types which don't fully support embedded tags).
Please consider sidecars for particles as well.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:53:07 pm »

Okay, TWO MC22 Requested Features.  ;D

21.0.82 (5/13/2016)

1. NEW: Television gets its own logging in addition to regular log files.  Important TV related (mostly TV recording) messages are logged in the TV logs.  The logs can be displayed in Standard Television view (just select "TV Logs" in the filter box).

Thanks Yaobing !

( And why can't we at least see something like "We are looking at the possibility of implementing this, but no guarantees" instead of radio silence ?)

RD James

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:42:20 am »

Please consider sidecars for particles as well.
Yes! I lost all of my particles a while back for no apparent reason and have yet to do the work to set them up again.
There's no point to the feature if they can just disappear like that.

Also: JRiver should have some way to clean up sidecar files.
Sometimes it's writing sidecar files for items that were only temporary (since it's not possible to exclude files from auto-import based on a rule) and when those temporary files are removed my disk is cluttered with sidecars.
JRiver should remove the sidecar if the file it is linked with is removed.

JorgeBispo

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 04:14:03 am »

I think it would be interesting to have a adaptive volume like night mode, but do not remove all the dynamics , the gain would reach the minimum 0dB.

This would be very interesting to watch movies in a relaxed manner at moderate levels but still feeling the low frequencies and its peaks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up