INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Rovi Guide Data Past 3/18  (Read 13876 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
No Rovi Guide Data Past 3/18
« on: March 12, 2016, 05:26:15 pm »

I just noticed that no recordings are scheduled beyond 3/18 and the guide data is showing "Program info not available" for all channels past that point.  Windows Media Center, which uses the same data, has the same problem and lots of other users are reporting the issue at The Green Button (so it's not isolated to just my zip code).

Can JRiver get someone at Rovi to look into this?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: No Rovi Guide Data Past 3/18
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:36 pm »

Same here, I don't have any data past Thursday.

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 06:39:55 pm »

Just to confirm Greynolds post that its a Rovi EPG service issue, not MC or mc2xml related. 

Background for what its worth.

IIRC March 6 was the date of the last update on my system as reported by MC, resulting in EPG data through to Friday March 18, 5:00pm, after which "Program info not available" is shown on all my selected channels.

Last week, prior to seeing the GB and Microsoft comments (and to eliminate other variables), I installed a full system image backup from February to test.  This resulted in an empty EPG.  I then manually updated the EPG, which only loaded data up to Friday's time frame.  Subsequent attempts to update EPG data beyond this point fail.

Above results request Rovi EPG data for SF Bay Area OTA.

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:17:46 pm »

I am having the same problem.  No EPG update since 3/6/2016, and no EPG data past 3/18/2016.  The MC2XML (MC21 provided version) doesn't seem to be working.  I have tried to manually to download the EPG data, and I have also tried a complete TV setup redo.  I have even turned off the fire wall.  The results are always the same.  The run window comes up; then the MC2XML window comes; and then another window pops up that says "Loading EPG Data MC2XML Provider Token: ATSC".  Then everything sits there and the little wheel spins.  If I hit the MC2XML ok button, then it may come back a few times, but in the end I get "The Guide data is not valid".  I am recording off the air signals with HDHomeRun tuners. Anyone at JRiver work on this?

Ark :D

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 02:39:10 pm »

Just chiming in to say that I am getting the exact same thing as the post above me.  Thanks!

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 02:41:22 pm »

For those interested in following along, here's the GreenButton thread discussing the EPG issue as it relates to Windows Media Center and Rovi EPG.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=9805&sid=2ee7880dea580df3d105a93a7454349b

Some commenters in that thread believe this may be a "usual" occurrence around daylight savings time that "may" correct today or tomorrow, although I don't recall experiencing this in in the past with either WMC or MC.  As of this morning EPG updates are not working for me.

btjr

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 06:13:11 pm »

I'm also experiencing the same problem with the program guide not updating.  I get the mc2xml v1.4 dialog box, which keeps bringing up the "OK" box to click.  When I do, the whole mc2xml guide process loops and I get the "OK" box to manually click on again and again.  Finally, it goes on in the process to the "mc2xml - lineup selection" and gives 2 choices for Los Angeles OTA Antenna (6 and 7).  If I choose either, it goes back to the previous process with the mc2xml v1.4 dialog box and the "OK" box again!  After that, I get the terse message, "The guide data is not valid, or does not contain any program information" and an OK box to click to exit the routine.   Before this daylight savings or whatever external event is causing the problem, everything was working automatically.  

Update:  as of 3/16/2016, mc2xml is working again for Los Angeles OTA Antenna option 6.  I'm glad this issue has been resolved.

kwinand

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 07:06:53 pm »

I have experienced this before having been a long time user of WMC. It usually gets fixed before the data runs out but with WMC basically being end of life to Microsoft you never know when they might stop fixing it. Not that it should happen on the first place.

This past weekend I got tired of the whole WMC thing and already being a licensed user of MC I decided to give it a shot not knowing that MC also uses the same Rovi feed that WMC uses. So back waiting for it to be fixed. At least there seems to be other options in MC. I am even willing to pay for a feeds if I need to.

Oh well, here's hoping things get updated soon. Like OverTheAir posted, there is a link to follow the action (or just listen to other complaining about it) over at the Green Button.

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 08:46:18 am »

This apparently fixed itself sometime last last evening or overnight.  Anyone else experience the same?

greynolds

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 09:24:31 am »

This apparently fixed itself sometime last last evening or overnight.  Anyone else experience the same?
Nope, still broken here.  Just to be sure, you're using the default (free) guide option in MC, not PercData or XMLTV, correct?

There are reports that Microsoft is aware of the problem and expects to have it fixed today (3/15) or tomorrow (3/16).

If it doesn't get fixed, switching to PercData seems like the best option.  It's not free, but the price seems pretty reasonable to me.

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 09:29:10 am »

Nope, I spoke too soon.  I don't know if I was seeing some effect from lag (I'm at work, I used TightVNC to get into my HTPC), but the guide data once again ends at 8:00PM Friday, March 18th.

Sorry for the false alarm.

greynolds

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 09:41:27 am »

Here are the relevant WMC threads for this:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=9805

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/windows-7-windows-media-center-not-updating-guide/beb7a0a7-4192-42a5-a621-1611dc3a3207?page=31&auth=1

There's a post in the answers thread from Barb Bowman that I was referencing:

Received email from MS that guide should be fixed today/tomorrow.

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 12:54:35 am »

The EPG updated tonight at ~10:35pm US West Coast time.  First indication was the mc2xml v1.4 dialog pop up box which lists the options where we choose the Microsoft service - I clicked OK. This came up while I was watching another video. Then the mc2xml line up selection list of channel guides where I selected my usual OTA service.  The EPG now lists programs out through March 27 5pm so the Rovi EPG appears to be working again.

greynolds

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 06:11:25 am »

The EPG updated tonight at ~10:35pm US West Coast time.  First indication was the mc2xml v1.4 dialog pop up box which lists the options where we choose the Microsoft service - I clicked OK. This came up while I was watching another video. Then the mc2xml line up selection list of channel guides where I selected my usual OTA service.  The EPG now lists programs out through March 27 5pm so the Rovi EPG appears to be working again.
Mine has also updated here on the east coast.

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 07:06:01 am »

I'm getting an issue with mine where mc2xml pops up 4 times, needing the initial configuration each time, and it never ends up working.  Not sure what to do but I've got guide data through Friday night so I'm OK with giving it some time.

greynolds

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 07:23:27 am »

I'm getting an issue with mine where mc2xml pops up 4 times, needing the initial configuration each time, and it never ends up working.  Not sure what to do but I've got guide data through Friday night so I'm OK with giving it some time.
FWIW, mine updated automatically without any issues.  Unless someone else has a better suggestion, you may need to redo your EPG setup.

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 07:35:41 am »

That'd be odd because it's been working fine since initial setup, for a couple months now.

Regardless, that's the next thing I will try.  Thank you.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 08:15:21 am »

Most likely it was due to Rovi not providing update.  When mc2xml does not produce any new data, in GUI mode we do retry a few times.  mc2xml will not produce a new xml file if it detects that there is no new data.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 08:22:03 am »

Understood.  Patience is a virtue, as they say!   :)

kwinand

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 08:49:04 am »

Looks like MSFT has come through at the last minute again. Users are reporting on the Green Button (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=980start=180) that guide data once again is flowing. I have checked my guide and sure enough my guide data has refreshed and now available out through 3/28.

All is well.

Carry on.

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 02:03:15 pm »

My JRiver MC's Rovi Guide Data has yet to update.  I keep trying a manual update every hour or so.   However, I still have a copy of WMC that was showing the same problem.  My WMC has updated the EPG out to 28 March.  Hopefully, we will see JRiver updated shortly.

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 02:28:57 pm »

Same.  I've since switched mine to Schedules Direct.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 03:35:09 pm »

Mine was updated this morning.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »

Mine was also updated this morning.

I did not touch anything, i.e. I did not change any settings or do any manual updates.  Maybe that made a difference somehow ?  (Just speculating.)

kwinand

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 04:10:27 pm »

I think this is once again a problem. Growing frustration over at the Green Button. My guide data in MC runs out Friday night. sigh.

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 04:48:42 pm »

Likewise I can't say if its a longer term problem or not but in my system the last automated download was 3/23/16 11pm with "Program info not available" showing for all my selected channels from 5pm onwards on 4/3/16.  Some channels also show "Program info not available" for earlier timeslots with the earliest at 4/2/16 5pm.  Previously I seemed to be getting regular daily automated downloads after the previous EPG service problem was resolved.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 04:56:25 pm »

The cynical side of me suspects that Microsoft isn't brave enough to just drop the free EPG service, in favour of their Xbox TV service, and will just continue to degrade the service until everyone stops using it. In most cases that would mean users abandoning WMC, which is what Microsoft wants.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 05:27:56 pm »

Try the PercData (there's a free trial period) if it works better than Rovi, switch over to it. The subscription fee is next to nothing compared to all the time, equipment, and effort we put into these HTPCs.  http://www.percdata.com/membershiplevels
Pages: [1]   Go Up