INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No guide after new windows account  (Read 3318 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
No guide after new windows account
« on: April 05, 2016, 01:36:20 pm »

I am trying to setup a user account on my PC just for media use.  I can get almost everything to work but I cannot get my guide to show any data on the new account while it still works on my Admin account. I created the account, imported my jriver settings, and even tried to do a new channel scan, and clear my old guide data.  I gave the new account admin priveleges but I can't get the guide working.  I see the command line box popup but I can't remember JRiver ever asking for my schedules direct account info.  What is wrong here? 

CountryBumkin

Re: No guide after new windows account
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:29:32 pm »

Do you have a Schedules Direct account - or are you using the free built-in Guide data?

If you have a SD account, the first time you run mc2xml (stand-alone version) a popup will ask for your Postal Code, User name, and password. Then a second popup will ask you to select the type of guide data you want (Sat, OTA, etc..). Once the program is run for the first time, this information is stored in the mc2xml.dat file. If you delete the existing mc2xml.dat file the popup windows will come up again when you run mc2xml.exe.

Make sure your new User account has access to the location where your mc2xml.dat is (if your using SD, then you would be using mc2xml "outside of MC", so the mc2xml.dat file is located in whatever folder you run mc2xml from).

Also, you are doing all this in the "server" computer right (in case you have a couple of Client computers too)?

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:35:07 pm »

The Microsoft Rovi guide feed is down yet again, so if using the free built-in guide data option, it isn't going to work until Microsoft fixes it.

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:04:40 pm »

I have SD.  I cleared my tv data gave the new account admin rights then rescanned and it worked.  Ijust turned off admin rights again after

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 05:58:21 pm »

You don't say if you reinstalled MC under the new, non-Admin account.

MC stores a whole lot of its data under User specific directories. I don't think a standalone version of mc2xml does the same, but that would depend on how you installed it.

Anyway, if the installation process of an application does ask "Do you want install this for the current user, or for all users", or similar, then you will need to reinstall those applications for the new non-Admin account.

I run my HTPC using a limited account, and it all works fine. But I installed everything using the limited account, just providing Admin privileges as required by the installations and updates.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jachin99

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 09:03:14 pm »

Sorry, I responded really quick on my phone.  I originally installed MC on the PC as the Admin and I allowed any user access to the program.  I can't remember which account I performed my original channel scan under but I do know that when I performed my latest channel scan under the new account with admin privelages, it worked.  Afterwards, I bumped the account back down to user, and it still looks like it is working but I'm not sure if I will get guide updates as they become available.  I'm not entirely sure if that answered your question but, there it is. 

CountryBumpkin, I intend to use this machine as a server but I don't have any clients I regularly connect to it, other than an Android remote.  I have a laptop that I do work from, but other than pulling music from the MC server I don't really use MC with it.  I would like to keep all of my configuration, and metadata on the server machine, and watch TV and movies from client machines without doing a channel scan for each one in the future.  I also keep my movies, music and pictures on the server machine but they are on a separate drive that I have shared with everyone.  Controlling priveleges to that drive shouldn't be too complicated but controlling priveleges to each file and folder needed to make MC work right on each client might take a little practice.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:35 pm »

Yep, that answers my question.

Just check that the JRiver directories have been created for the non-Admin account which you are going to use in the future. i.e.
"C:\Users\[Non-Admin Account]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21"

I've never installed the way you did, so I don't know exactly what MC would have done, but I expect it may have created the directories under the "C:\Users\public" directory.

If MC hasn't created the non-Admin user specific directories, just install MC again over the existing installation using the non-Admin account, and those directories should be created, and everything should work. It wouldn't hurt to just do that installation anyway, and do it the same way in the future. That way all components get registered in Windows properly, registry entries are in the correct place, and there are no questions that the guide data should update.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up