INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming to Naim Streamer Fast Scrubbing not working  (Read 4181 times)

Laleluli

• Recent member
Streaming to Naim Streamer Fast Scrubbing not working
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:43:29 pm »

Hi,
I'm streaming files from JRemote to a Naim Streamer and fast scrubbing is not working.
Same if I send the files from MC to the streamer.
Pin always jumps back to actual position.

I prefer JRemote over the Naim app.

Ideas?

Best and thanks in advance,
Laleluli 

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming to Naim Streamer Fast Scrubbing not working
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:28:48 pm »

Are you pushing to the Naim via UPNP?

If so, whilst it is theoretically doable, please keep in mind that I never saw anyone who could actually do it, because it requires some pretty advanced techniques...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Laleluli

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:35:10 am »

Sorry, I don't know exactly.
My Streamer is integrated in the network.
I choose it as player/zone in JRemote and play the music files.
It works fine except the fast forwarding issue which is for me an important option.
FF is also not possible from MC directly on the PC with the streamer as zone.
Thx!

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 02:47:58 pm »

I don't know your setup exactly, but if you are using Naim's  Superuniti, you can set up a zone connecting your HTPC as the renderer to the Naim rather than use it as a DLNA renderer. In other words just using the naim as a DAC/amp. If you are using the Naim to stream stuff to other playback areas you could use a different zone via DLNA like you have now. At least for one playback area you would have all the functionality of JRiver that way. You could still use JRemote as the control point for both rendering methods, by switching "zones" via the app (each zone having different output configs for example)

Laleluli

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:33:26 am »

I'm using a Naim NAC-N 272 pre/streamer combination via wifi.
Could you give some guidance how to get your proposal to work?
Sorry, I'm a beginner concerning the network stuff.
Thx in advance!

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 06:47:52 am »

I'm using a Naim NAC-N 272 pre/streamer combination via wifi.
Could you give some guidance how to get your proposal to work?
Sorry, I'm a beginner concerning the network stuff.
Thx in advance!
First off I am not familiar with this model ... or how you are integrating it into your network especially via WIFI. But I jumped on the site and as with most Naim gear its got all sorts of connection options. As you are using JRiver somewhere in the chain I'm guessing you have a PC with your media on it or a NAS + a PC somewhere right? (unless you have a QNAP NAS with JRiver installed there?).

So for a very simple example without knowing more ... one playback set-up. You'd have the PC with JRiver installed => Naim Nac=>Amp=>Speakers. Zone 1 configured so that JRiver is running as Server, Renderer and optionally as Control point (or with JRemote as controller). Use a SPDIF out from your PC (optical or coax input on the NAIM preferred). Set under Audio config in MC you audio device to WASAPI (probably will say Realtec as a choice depending on your PC motherboard). Set it to exclusive. Set all DSP tweaks in the NAIM to off if you have played around. If needed, use DSP studio in JRiver for correction etc.

The only thing you would want to set at the beginning is the Output format box for the sample rates (in the DSP studio "box") ... didn't read all the Naim docs, but it looks like these would all be set to No Change in the Output column up to 96kHz sample rates (if you use a Toslink optical they limit this for some reason to 96kHz; Coax RCA  goes up to 192kHz so you would downsample the high rez to the highest rates supported like 384kHz would output at 192 or 96 depending on the connection chosen). That would give you an "audiophile" zone using all of JRiver's top notch rendering functions, and your fast "scrubbing" would be no problem. I have no idea how a WIFI input would be handled by their DAC ... personally I'd use a direct connection for you main system tho ..

Now I have to assume that you got this high end kit for multiple room use and internet streaming (why you are on WIFI?) So then you would want to use/add one or more DLNA zones (probably you have one set up already).  In these zones the Naim becomes the renderer so some JRiver functionality will not be totally compatible or will need a different set-up per "zone" -- not sure if you can have DSP presets on the Naim that can be remotely changed for example. But in theory you could set up one for every room or different profiles. Again I'd have to read the Naim manual first ;)

Now if you are using the Naim ability to directly stream Tidal JRemote wont be able to control that, but I think you could set it to remotely change to a "zone" used only for that.

Once you set this or similar up make sure that media server is running (probably on start-up if running headless without a monitor) and you would have to reset JRemote by reconnecting to the server otherwise any new zones you create won't show up.

Again I'd need almost a diagram of your network and playback areas so I'm just putting this out there as a staring point for what you can do with multiple zones ... you probably should look into the Wiki to see more what zones can do .. you can even link them together if they are "physical" playback zones.

Hope this helps more than confuses  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up