INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Remote Access to MC Possible with iphone/ipad by using JRemote?

Accessing MC through iphone
- 0 (0%)
JRemote intended use?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Access via iPhone  (Read 3532 times)

maf3187

• Recent member
Remote Access via iPhone
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:52:39 pm »

I'm just getting started with MC and have also downloaded the App for JRemote on my iPhone.  I imagined using the JRemote as a way to access my music on MC remotely, ideally connected to my car stereo via iphone.  Is this possible or is that the intended use for JRemote?  I've been able to add my MC as a server for JRemote, but it seems to only work as a remote control for controlling MC on my PC?  And I'm unable to play music through my mobile device (iphone).  If anyone could give me guidance on if mobile access is possible and what additional steps I need to complete to make this happen - that would be most appreciated!

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote Access via iPhone
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:23:09 pm »

Sure its possible, but I'm not writing the guide on a step-by-step basis for your router. :)

You need to be able to know how to open your router ports to X (52199 is the default. look for "Port Fowarding" on your routers menu). You have to allow external access too for all firewalls you have/may have  installed. Once you allow external access to JRiver media server (from the web), you can then stream it to your iphone/ipad by choosing "This Device" where you choose playback zones (on a phone thats on the bottom when you open settings; on an ipad its always visible, bottom left -- its sort of a circle within a circle icon.

As long as you know how to configure a router, its pretty easy. To use it as a controller on your local network you probably used the DHCP setting for your IP addresses already.

You might have to transcode on the fly to listen in your car though (you might have to stream in mp3 and not flac for example, depends on your bandwidth, internet connection etc.). A strong wifi in a bar handles flac for me no problem. Of course you have to have the machine running JRiver's media server on or at least "wake-up-able" for this to work

PS - you euh started a poll not a post??

maf3187

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:21:02 pm »

Thank you so much for your reply.  I just worked with ATT tech support and they helped me open up the port.  It's working now, so I'm very happy.  One additional question, i there anything specific i need to do to make my PC wake-up-able?  Or do you just mean my master PC needs to be powered-on?

Also sorry I set this up as a Poll, I'll correct that next time :)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:32:53 am »

Thank you so much for your reply.  I just worked with ATT tech support and they helped me open up the port.  It's working now, so I'm very happy.  One additional question, i there anything specific i need to do to make my PC wake-up-able?  Or do you just mean my master PC needs to be powered-on?
sure no problem, glad it worked for you. I don't know how many machines are accessing your home network. If you have a NAS, etc. But basically one machine (and usually only one) is running media server and the main JRiver program. Usually you want at least the JRiver's server to boot on Windows start-up. You might not want it on all the time (powered-up), so you can set it to go to sleep right?

So "Wake on Lan" is basically how a machine on your network can wake up another one (sending "magic packets"). It can get a bit trickier on a WAN (if they still call it that :) Wide Area Network, than on a LAN (your local network). The device running JRemote becomes a client renderer (player) in the way you want to use it and if configured correctly can wake up your sleeping media server.

Usually there is a tweak you have to make to the Bios of your machine -- this depends on your motherboard and maybe the OS too.  Just google WOL how to or Wake on Lan for more info ... here's one of the first links google just returned .... shwos an example for Win 7 and OSX http://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/

So in short yes your PC has to be powered up all the time for JRemote to stream (but you can get it to wake itself up :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up