INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: run different library in Media Server than on desktop?  (Read 1974 times)

Auntie Matter

• Recent member
run different library in Media Server than on desktop?
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:25:21 am »

My library is huge making it unwieldly when using Media Server.
I'd like to be able to serve only a partial library (or a completely separate library intended solely for Media Server). How can this be done? If this is not possible, how can I control which files are Served?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: run different library in Media Server than on desktop?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 07:40:02 am »

Welcome to the forum.  Media Server can handle a very large library -- at least half a million files.

Under the File Menu, take a look at Library Manager.  It lets you add libraries.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 07:51:31 am »

What client or clients do you want to serve part of your library to?  JRemote, etc?  Or other JRiver desktop clients?

If it's JRemote (and friends) you can make new views inside of Media Network that are shown to JRemote.  These views might be limited by certain drives or directories, certain genres, etc.  Or they might eliminate certain genres, keywords, etc.

You can customize JRemote views at:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize Views for JRemote...

Once you change views there, you will need to restart MC *and* JRemote.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:21:16 am »

Blgentry is right, any standard view can be imitated in a server view, so you can share any portion of a library you want, no need for a separate library IMO.  In tools>options>media network>advanced>...customize views for remotes you can select any combination of files you want to be seen by a server

People have different ideas of what a huge library is.  I suspect you should make the question more specific and you'll get some excellent assistance around here!

Auntie Matter

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:31 pm »

Well, thank you both, I failed to find the options to configure how the library appears in Gizmo & Web Gizmo.

I think you just resolved all of my streaming issues, I will let you know. 

thanks

MikeO

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 04:08:59 am »

Its under Tools>Options>Media Network>Advance ... Customize Views for JRemote, Gizmo & WebGizmo

If you have an iPad/iPhone consider JRemote its VERY slick . You can customise views very easily and set "Rules" to filter down you collection.

I have 85k + files in my library (a little one by some standards) and have no issues using these views, probably the network speed will be more of an issue thaMC speed.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up