INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug with cover art handling on read only network shares (or feature request)  (Read 2490 times)

marsboer

• Recent member

Hi

There seems to be some issues in how JRiver (currently on MC 21) handles cover art when the media is located read only network shares. The current functionality does _not_ work when the files are located on a read only share:

* Episode images from metadata provider is not used. JRiver then falls back to generated thumbs.
* Cover art for movies does not work. JRiver falls back to a generated thumb.

The following _does_ work:
* Show and season cover art automatically downloaded from metadataprovider

If I enable write access everything works as expected and jriver stores the epiosode thumbs and movie covers with the files.

Expected behaviour is that it is stored in the location specified  "File Locations -> Cover Art". This seems to be the case with Show and Season cover art, so why not movie cover and episode thumbs?

This is from the Wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

For video, cover art is always stored next to the file using the same filename as the video. For example, "Big Bang S01E11.mkv" will use "Big Bang S01E11.jpg" for cover art.
Sometimes a need arises to save cover art for a file that can not support artwork next to it. Imagine setting an image for a file on an optical disk. In these cases, the cover art is placed in the cover art folder.

The expected behaviour from the last sentence just isn't working with read only network shares.
If the problem is that a network share is not interpretet as read only (it is hard coded by medium, not by actual write access) perhaps there should be a user settable option when specifying library imports that the path is supposed to be handled as read only.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

i guess the first simple question:  what are your cover art settings (tools>options>file locations)

blgentry

Video cover art (per movie) is always stored beside the media file.  As far as I know this can not be changed.

Brian.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team

Yes, I noticed the same problem.

I import and tag on my office PC to my NAS.    Then my media server (a read-only client) picks up anything new.  With the cover art directory set to read only, the media server reverts to default thumbnails.  In the end I made the cover art directory RW for all users to fix the issue...

There are two images for TV shows - the episode image and the season image.  The episode image is stored next to the file, but it's the season image artwork causing the issue.

Not sure why this trips MC up.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Movie and TV cover art is stored next to the file, if it can't be stored there, then it won't be able to use it either.
There have been previous discussions about Movie and TV cover art locations, and as of now there are no plans to change their storage strategy.

The second line of your quote applys to audio only, not video. Video cover art is always stored next to the file.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up