INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mp2 support by JRiver  (Read 1998 times)

sopito

mp2 support by JRiver
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:12:51 am »

Hi

I just downloaded a demo of JRiver 21.0.50 because I intend to use it for managing my collection of audio recordings (> 70'000 files) which are mostly in mp2 format (some are mp3 and some flac). Unfortunately I found mp2 support very limited:

(1) mp2 format is not listed under Audio but under Video when selecting file formats for Auto-Import. Although I understand the linkage of the mp2 format to video this is quite confusing, to say the least. This issue is of course not very serious as it can easily be dealt with.

(2) Much more problematic is the fact that JRiver does not write any tags to mp2 files, or - to be more precise - to files with the file extension mp2. It does actually write tags to mp2 files which were renamed mp3. This has already been discussed in a previous thret (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37216.0;wap2). Since I need to be able to distinguish between mp2 and mp3 format renaming the files is an absolute no go for me.

The lack of mp2 support is a show stopper for me although I otherwise like the software very much. Is there any prospect that mp2 support will be improved in the near future?

Regards
Stefan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: mp2 support by JRiver
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:01:47 am »

mp2 on Wikipedia

If you renamed them to mp3, you could add a tag to identify them and create views that only showed them (or not).

It's such an ancient format that it's hard to imagine spending development time on it now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up