INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing on flac files from a folder  (Read 3274 times)

Douggoldberg

• Recent member
Importing on flac files from a folder
« on: March 25, 2016, 05:25:22 pm »

Folks I cant seem to figure out how to configure JRiver to import only FLAC files from a folder with mixed mp3 and flac. Can you configure auto import to scan the folder and only add flac files to the active library? Driving me nuts....

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importing on flac files from a folder
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »

Sure you can do that.

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Folders > (click the folder you want to change)

Click the Edit button on the right.  In the middle you'll see "Import these file types".  Expand the Audio section by clicking on it.  You'll see ALL of the audio types listed there.  Uncheck what you don't want to import.

Hot tip:  Uncheck Audio at the top level to uncheck all audio types.  Then drill down into audio and find just FLAC and put a check next to that.

Brian.

Douggoldberg

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:42:56 pm »

Many thanks.

Douggoldberg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 06:20:41 pm »

One more question. I have a local folder on my music server which contains a number of albums physically moved over from my NAS. I want to have JRiver search my NAS music folder, add just the FLAC files to the library (not move the files just be able to access them) but not the ones that I physically moved to the local drive already. Is there a way to import all files except the ones already in the local library? I had auto import scan my NAS drive but I ended up with duplicates where I had already added them to the library from the local drive.

Douggoldberg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:59:59 am »

Anybody have any suggestions on this?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:05:38 am »

Anybody have any suggestions on this?

The most straightforward way would be to add all of the NAS files and then remove duplicates semi-automatically using the "Duplicates" smartlist. Since the files are identical, you could create your own Duplicates smartlist that identified files with the exact same file size, filename? (if they are the same), or use tags such as Name, Artist, Album, Date, and Track # (depending on the scope of your metadata). Then sort by file location so that all of the duplicates on the NAS are grouped together, select them and remove them from the library. Also make sure that "Ignore files previously removed from the database" is checked in the auto-import options so they aren't re-imported.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 11:13:59 am »

Having two repositories is just going to confuse things.  You should really maintain a copy of your music all in one place.  You should, of course, back it up to another location too.  But MC should only import the main copy of your music: not two copies, not any backup files, etc.

Finding and removing duplicates gets pretty tricky.  Though with true duplicates (exact same files) it should be easier.  It just seems easiest to me to be organized up front and only import one copy of your music.

If you can describe your goal of having some on NAS and some internal we may be able to suggest a strategy for getting there in an organized efficient manner.

Brian.

Douggoldberg

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 12:33:33 pm »

Thanks for the inputs guys. I wanted some of my best native hi-rez files on the local driver of my music server as they sound a littler better than served off the remote NAS. The NAS would keep the ripped FLAC files from CD. I know, I know audiophile alert.... but they do sound better locally. The local drive is not big enough for everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up