INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art location and display issue  (Read 3579 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Cover Art location and display issue
« on: March 30, 2016, 04:53:14 am »

Hi there
I am puzzled for some strange behaviour:
- have a media server running at home on a PC
- I have a client installed in my office PC which get files from the remote library headed by the media server above
So far so good
- I checked in the server the option to store the cover art in the same folder of the media files (Options > Files location > Cover Art > Audi Mode: same folder as the dile)
- I do the same n the client @office
Neverthless I sometimes see the wrong (old) cover art in both the client and the JRemote panels
I also tag file from the client: it seems to works (sometimes I see black magic since I have to enter tags twice ...)
Last, I see the Cover art directory in the AppData/Romaing/JRiver directory nont being empty
Please shade some light on this

thanks much
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cover Art location and display issue
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:40:46 pm »

First, you should only do Cover Art maintenance on the MC Server PC, and not on the MC Client PC. If you do it on the Client, the Cover Art will be stored locally, and not be available to the Server.

Second, if there is already Cover Art imbedded in a file, common in audio files, I believe that will take precedence over Cover Art stored in the same folder as the file. I think this is particularly true when viewing the media on JRemote, but I'm not sure about that as I don't use it. If you have newer Cover Art that you want to use, you should remove the older imbedded Cover Art, and then re-add your new Cover Art.

To check if there is imbedded Cover Art, select the media file using MC Standard View, then look at the tag [Image File]. If there is embedded Cover Art it will say "Inside File". Otherwise it will say "Folder.jpg" or a file name, or a file with a path, depending on your settings when the record was created.

To remove the embedded Cover Art, select the media file(s) using MC Standard View, right click on them, select Cover Art>Remove Cover Art. Make sure you have copies of the Cover Art you want to keep though, as I think this removes all Cover Art, including files in the folder with the media file.

Tagging from the Client works fine, and is safe to do. Finding and assigning Cover Art doesn't work properly, and neither does the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files..." function, although access to the latter from a Client has been removed in recent MC versions, so it can no longer be used by mistake. Also editing Views from a Client doesn't work properly. Basically, other than tagging, and Playlists/Smartlists, it is best to do maintenance directly on the server. If you search you may find discussions on what works properly on a client, and what doesn't.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 03:55:34 pm »

got it, thanks
in this case I think that IF JRiver is NOT configured as a server, the covert art menu should not be active. this is not documented anywhere (I think, plz correct me if i am wrong)

cheers
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:29:30 pm »

It is a common topic in the forum, but I couldn't find it in the Wiki at all. The closest, and where it should be, is in the Library Server Sync article.

There are ways around the restriction, if the Cover Art directory is reachable using the same mapped drives or shared directories from both the server and the client, but that takes a bit of understanding and work to set up, so it isn't a normal configuration.

I used to use the Windows Remote Desktop feature to do such maintenance on my HTPC from my workstation PC, and now I use TeamViewer. That seems to be the most common solution.

Note: If you use the free for personal use version TeamViewer you will quickly get annoyed at the popup that shows itself at the end of every session, and sits on top of MC, hurting the WAF a lot. I tried several solutions to kill this annoying reminder from TeamViewer, which either didn't work, or broke something else. Until I found TeamViewer Popup Killer, which appears to be safe and works without issue. I have that start automatically on my HTPC at boot time now. Problem solved.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 02:02:22 am »

Yes yes I am using teamviewer for remote management (same thing). my complain is that the covert art features are enabled even if JRiver is used as a server. I think they should prevent people from doing this, IF this is a problema
If the image is 'Inside the file' does it mean that the image is embedded into EVERY file of the album contain the SAME image? this is crazy
Strange enough, I ripeed some albums yesterday and, in the same album the image file is 'Inside File' for other tracks is 'Folder.jpg' ... mumble mumble
thanks much
Stereo:

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 03:52:09 am »

Strange enough, I ripeed some albums yesterday and, in the same album the image file is 'Inside File' for other tracks is 'Folder.jpg' ... mumble mumble
thanks much
yep this can happen. Not sure why some are and some are not embedded though for the same rip.

Either way you can select a track with the good "art" and right click Cover Art=>Save Cover art to location specified ... If you chose the folder.jpg option, it will make a copy in the album folder. When it is not embedded you choose the other tool Cover Art=>Quick Find in file. You don't need album art in the folder, but it is a good idea that all tracks have the same art embedded

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 08:28:07 am »

what does it means 'also store image in the file tag? should i uncheck this? this cover art story is driving me crazy :)
Stereo:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:16 am »

The cover art gets stored in the audio file.  It's usually a good thing unless space is very limited.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 07:58:40 pm »

As Jim says, when the Cover Art image is stored in the audio file, where it is considered a type of tag, you don't have to worry about managing a separate Cover Art image file for the track or album.

If the Cover Art image is small, which most usually are, then the extra space used to store the image in each audio file isn't usually a problem. But if you use high quality Cover Art images, which will be a larger size on disk, then separate Cover Art files makes sense.

Even with slightly better quality, larger Cover Art images, I like to keep them in a tag, as it is so convenient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up