INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About to swap hard drives. What should I backup  (Read 5452 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
About to swap hard drives. What should I backup
« on: March 30, 2016, 04:12:33 pm »

I have a new Samsung SSD coming in the mail tomorrow, and I do not want to go through all of the work of setting up JRiver all over again.  I have backedup my library on an external hard drive.  I also separately backed up my pictures, movies, music and recordings on a separate space within the hard drive.  I would rather not do a new channel scan or spend too much time setting up my remote.  Is all of this included in my backup, or do I have to back these settings up separately?  Thanks. 

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: About to swap hard drives. What should I backup
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:42:42 am »

You'll be fine. What you want to do is restore the library backup once you have your media back in place. Check the settings option on the restore and you should be good do go.  The library backup contains settings and views, as well as the database fo your media. If you have issues, check that the location (ie drive letter is the same) and your import configuration, if needed you can repoint the database to a new location, but as you are changing just the system drive (SSD) this probably doesn't contain the media files themselves, but it would/should contain the JRiver library files, views and your settings.

In terms of backup, you should minimally have a backup of the backup file ("library") and a of course a copy of your media files.  I have had a disaster once where during a full restore I blew out both hard drives. I will never make this mistake again, and with the price of storage being so reasonable, I recommend having an archive set of backups preferably away form your main computer that you sync once or twice a month depending on how much retagging or new media you are adding of course. The main backup could be in the computer or NAS itself, backed-up more often. Syncback is a nice freeware program that can help sync the backups to reduce the time it takes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up