INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two questions re: song playback  (Read 2025 times)

azzmo

• Recent member
Two questions re: song playback
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:52:42 pm »

1.) I'd like to set certain songs to be skipped. When playing an album there might be a song that got too much radio play but I want to hear the rest of the tracks and keep that song in the list. In iTunes I used to just uncheck the box next to the song.

2.) I'd like to set the play duration of certain songs (because some songs have talking in the intro or go on too long). In iTunes I could go into the song's properties and tell it where to start and end.

Does JRiver have these capabilities? I've put effort into learning all the awesome things this program can do but these two things still elude me.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
Re: Two questions re: song playback
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 10:58:48 pm »

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but for songs I never want to hear I rate them with 1 star, and then all of my playlists are told to only play songs 2 thru 5 stars (along with any other qualifiers I want). That way I still hear those 1 star songs if I'm listening to a full album (as the artist intended), but any playlist/shuffle skips the 1 stars.

And for the second thing you want particles... https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles

azzmo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:11:57 pm »

Thanks Alan. Is there a universal rule "Do not play songs rated exactly 1/5 stars" (but still play unrated or 2/5 or better rated songs) or did you manually inform each playlist of that rule?

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:20:57 pm »

There may be a universal rule, I don't know (still pretty new here myself). But yeah, I just add it when I build a new playlist, kind of by default.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:44:40 am »

I agree with Alan, although I might use another field like keywords is a good one. Just add Skip to it once and then you can check the box (or uncheck it when you change your mind).  

That way your ratings are still useful as is.

You can go a step further and create or copy an existing view from which to create your playlists. Just create a rule choosing Keywords is not any Skip, and then you can forego, creating a rule each time you create playlists on the fly. Just use the wizard by lciking on those three dots before Set Rules for file display

or hit import/export and paste this in

Code: [Select]
-[Keywords]=[skip]
or using ratings to not show 1 star like Alan mentioned

Code: [Select]
-[Rating]=[1]
Pages: [1]   Go Up