INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If I can figure out what causes Windows to hang, I'd like to buy it.  (Read 6139 times)

ITGuy

Hi there,

I'm new to JRiver MC.  I'm running a Windows 10 PC I built for photo editing. 

• ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
  • Intel i5-3570K (unclocked)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 250GB SSD
  • WD 1=TB HDD's x 2

I picked up a pr. of Audioengine HD6's about a week ago. I luv the sound.    Did an informal ear test between iTunes, VLC Media Center and JRiver.  JRiver wins hands down.
I will be installing an external DAC in a few weeks. 

When I play music for long periods of time with MC, I loose Right-Click or any type of mouse click control over icons on the task bar including the start menu. 
The only way I can get control back is to shut down JRiver and force a soft-boot.

What's unusual as well is that I still have MC functionality except when in mini view especially, the skin is faded.  I'm thinking maybe a driver but have no idea.

My PC is my audio system.  PITA to have to reboot all the time.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: If I can figure out what causes Windows to hang, I'd like to buy it.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 05:03:08 pm »

I had that as a recurring problem with Windows 10 too. Restarting explorer via the task manager fixed it temporarily.
Installing Windows 8.1 again fixed it permanently.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:14:45 pm »

If I had to run Windows 10, I'd be looking to automate the solution to this bug (in windows 10) if at all possible.  This solution creates a script that you can double click on, which will restart explorer.exe, which in turn makes the start menu work again.  I'd put it on the desktop *right* above the start menu, so whenever Start didn't work, I'd double click the script to get it working again:

http://www.askvg.com/create-simple-script-to-close-and-restart-explorer-automatically-in-windows-xp-vista-and-7/

In fact, I'm crazy enough that I'd probably just schedule this script to run several times per day... but I haven't researched the implications of doing so.  So I'm not sure what would happen.

Running the script manually seems very safe though.

Good luck!

Brian.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:49:59 pm »

It too have this issue on Win10.... and you saying it is MC related?
JRiver CEO Elect

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:57:42 pm »

^ There's a rather long thread about this issue here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100712.0

The summary, as I see it, is:

Yes, running MC seems to trigger this bug in Windows 10.  It's not an MC bug, it's a Windows 10 bug.  Some Adobe creative suite products are said to trigger it as well.  It's apparently caused by Windows programs that don't use the MS Foundation Classes, but rather use their down classes that make lower level windows GUI calls.  If I understand correctly.

I don't know what the status of a fix from MS is, as I haven't really researched it.  I've just read the thread I linked to.

Brian.

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 06:12:09 am »

I used to get this bug regularly but havent experienced it for about a week now.
Don't know what's changed but I certainly havent changed the way Im using MC or the HTPC.

I did go through my event logs about a week ago and fix a few errors that were popping up. I'll have a dig and see what they were, maybe I inadvertently fixed the problem.

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 06:36:55 am »

I checked what I fixed and there were two things:

1. A VSS backup problem that had some permission errors that were triggering CAPI2 513 errors with the LLDP network driver (Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol)
Unlikely this changed anything to do with windows start menu.

and
2. Disabled a whole bunch of scheduled tasks in the task scheduler, including some troublesome windows media center tasks that were broken because there's no more WMC in Win10.
The main one that may have fixed the problem was the windows start menu cache optimisation task which I disabled!  No ill side effects and start menu just works!

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 06:43:37 am »

For me all adobe programs no longer cause this issue (Creative Suite, Photshop etc.) after the last big MS patch. 

What is causing this still on my system  is a combo of using Chrome + extensions with JRiver. (especially ad blockers and streaming videos). Actually Chrome+extensions will make the Start Button not work without JRiver running. I also found that JAVA can trigger this, but I can't reproduce it at will. The Chrome thing I can

I'll put this up there again as it is in the main thread already. A much easier work around Than rebooting.

Just restart Windows Explorer from the task manager (the windows button might not work, but the right click on the button will). Do NOT however "stop" Win Explorer. If explorer is open before you enter TaskManager, it is near the top of the list, so this is quite fast.

ITGuy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:12:04 pm »

I don't think it's MC that's causing the issue.  I've had noting but problems with Windows 10 since upgrading from Win 7.

I can't even cut and paste with mouse clicks while in this email.  No Right-Click available while in MC.  I'm running Chrome with no extensions (I don't think).

I had uninstalled IE but ran into some issues and Microsoft support reinstalled it to get to a catalog -- and after all that, the problem still persists --Jeez!

No Bluetooth driver either.  Way to go Microsoft.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 01:38:05 am »

I can't even cut and paste with mouse clicks while in this email.  No Right-Click available while in MC.  I'm running Chrome with no extensions (I don't think).

No Bluetooth driver either.  Way to go Microsoft.

Do you have a gaming or other programmable mouse? If so make sure the additional software is updated. Also I've had issues with Logitec (I think it s called set-point?) addon software ... if you have that, you might want to uninstall that .. you don't really need it.  If you don't have right-click that is messed-up. Might need a clean install of Win10 to sort that out  ? Never had any issues with Bluetooth personally, pairing seemed to work well for me out of the box. IMO - These definitely have nothing to do with JRiver

ITGuy

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 11:20:48 am »

I've been having issues with my Logitech M510 mouse but not my Logitech K800 keyboard except for an ocassional lag time when typing. 

Logitech SetPoint doesn't play well with Win 10.

I just checked my event logs.  Microsoft you pushed a boatload of crap out into prod.  Shame on you.  I feel like I'm a Windows 10 beta tester sometimes.

Still limited mouse functionality within JRiver interface.  Can't double-click to highlight text; no Right-Click context menu functionality.  Can highlight text but can use
mouse to do anything once text is selected.

I'm supposed to be retired.  Troubleshooting Window 10 OS bugs ain't my idea of retirement.  Besides, I'm having hip replacement surgery in about 2 weeks.

Not sure if its a good idea to pull the trigger on JRiver MC 21.  At least not with my current setup.

I also have Adobe Creative Cloud (Dreamweaver, Photoshop & Lightroom) installed.

Will have a Jolida Glass FX DAC III soon.  Hoping it will help smooth out the 50W RMS solid-state amp in the Audioengine.  Looks like I'm going to need some floor stands for the Audioengines.  They eed about 8-10' separation I think to sound good. 

I have them 3' 9" apart on my desk.  Soundstage is congested.

Do you have a gaming or other programmable mouse? If so make sure the additional software is updated. Also I've had issues with Logitec (I think it s called set-point?) addon software ... if you have that, you might want to uninstall that .. you don't really need it.  If you don't have right-click that is messed-up. Might need a clean install of Win10 to sort that out  ? Never had any issues with Bluetooth personally, pairing seemed to work well for me out of the box. IMO - These definitely have nothing to do with JRiver

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 11:28:59 am »

Sounds like you should go back to Windows 7 to me.

Or build a W10 machine from scratch and work out all of the peripheral compatibility issues.  Just my opinion.  ...and I don't even use windows day to day so what do I know?  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up