INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie files out of order in theater view  (Read 3391 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Movie files out of order in theater view
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:52:56 pm »

My movies appear out of order in theater view so, for instance, star wars episode two appears next to the lego movie, and after the lego movie there is star wars episode one.  I have double checked the names, and when I look at the file locations within media center, they are all in order.  Why is it like this?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Movie files out of order in theater view
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:17:58 pm »

By default almost all the Movie views in Theatre View are sorted by movie name, even when they are grouped by Decade, Actor, Director, Genre, etc. That is, they are sorted by name within the grouping. The "Recent" view is an exception. Have you added sorting to the views, or made other changes to them? Changes are made under Options>Theatre View>Items to show, then using "Set rules for display.." and adding Details to the View.

Which view are you actually using?
Perhaps post an image of the problem, so we can see where you are.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 06:42:02 pm »

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to copy my clipboard to the forums so I added an attatchement

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 06:44:06 pm »

Oops. I don't see an attachment.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jachin99

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 06:45:25 pm »

fixed

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:03:37 pm »

Your movies are being sorted alphabetically I think.  Notice that Episode 4 is officially called "A New Hope".  That sorts before Episode 2, which is titled "Attack Of The Clones".

You could certainly change the [Name] field of these movies to include "Star Wars Episode X" before their official names.  There are other ways of dealing with movie series also, so that they sort in order of movie release, and appear under their series name in the alphabetical listing.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:22:29 pm »

I got distracted, so Brian beat me. But I wrote this anyway before being distracted.

Ah. I see the problem. Well, with a little bit of guessing.

I'll bet those movies have a value in the [Name] tag of;

"A New Hope"
"Attack of the Clones"
"The Lego Movie"

So, alphabetically, they are sorted correctly on the [Name] tag.

If you have the setting at "Options>Tree & View>Sorting>Ignore articles" checked the words like "The" are ignored for sorting purposes. So the above movies are sorted in the sequence "A ", "At", "Le", which is correct, although it means you don't have any movies named between "At" and "Le", which is a pretty big jump. You must not have many movies in your library yet.

I have my Star Wars movies named like "Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace", while I see the IMDB which MC uses to look up movie data uses the form "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace". Choose whatever method you want, but just understand that the movies are sorted alphanumerically on the [Name] tag.

You can also put the series name in the [Series] tag and modify views to group the movie episodes together. I have partly done that myself, but haven't created views for movie series yet. That is on my to do list.  8)

Search around the forum and you will find threads discussing Movie Series, sorting, and so on. Also read up on Standard and Theatre View Views, creation, sorting etc. Lots to learn. MC is very flexible in this area.

jachin99

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 07:41:19 pm »

I went to the file locations inside jriver, and tweaked the names a little for each MKV file.  That fixed it, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up